MR2 SpyderChat banner

Thinking of Optima Red or Yellow or Sears Diehard (Optima type)

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  MrSpyderman 
#1 ·
Battery is dead. Regular batteries don't last long in AZ, plus I don't drive the car much. (side note: yes, I need to get a battery disconnector if I don't drive it much)

I looked up Optima. They used to sell Red for the Spyder, but then they discontinued them. Now Optima is saying the Yellow top is for the Spyder. Is this true?

Sears used to have an Optima type Diehard the last time I bought my battery. I looked online and didn't see this listed. (actually didn't see much, the Sears online site sucks and you can't find anything)

My question is: Do you have a Optima Red or Yellow, or Sears Diehard (optima)? How do you like it? What size is it?

Thanks.

#5 ·
Thanks, Dev. Glad to see your still around here. Can you recharge these batteries? Do you know what the part number is? I did a search at Deka and they just show the regular battery, not the AGM.

#3 ·
optima

Local battery shop use to sell optima battries but stopped due to having many issues with them. They won't even special order one if requested.

#4 ·
LOVED the Optima redtop on my '86 MR2.

Equally impressed with the yellowtop in my '05. The spyder size is smaller and has less capacity than my old car, but I can still run my stereo/fan for 5+ hours while working on the car. Interestingly, my radio/amplifier will start cutting out (battery is basically dead), but the yellow top will still start my car.

#14 ·
I am a diehard gold guy. Sure its a full size battery BUT there is a sears everywhere they are 3 years full replacement and a good prorate afterwards.

When I was in TX the heat would kill our batteries in about 2.5 years. Got new golds every time no questions and that is something that has stuck with me.

Huh, say what? When was the last time you bought a Diehard Gold T-Bone? I bought one 5 years ago...well, 4.3. I looked online and the only battery Sears has for our car is the regular Diehard. I couldn't believe it and went in. Sure enough, the only 51R they have is the regular Diehard. Check out TX and let me know. Be interesting to see TX has it, but AZ doesn't.

#13 ·
As I understand it, the Spyders sold new in the U.S. had Panasonic batteries in them, but Panasonic replacement batteries are not available in the U.S.A. Why is that?

I replaced my original battery after (... what? ...) 7 or 8 years.
Not because it failed; but because I couldn't believe a battery could last that long.
Is that why Panasonic batteries aren't available? Because they last too long?
After all, something that doesn't break is bad for The Economy.
(Rule-of-Thumb: Good_for_Consumer = Bad_for_Economy)
Panasonic batteries on the whole are some of the best ever made. Toyota owns a good deal of Panasonic.

You might remember some of your electronics come with Panasonic batteries for the remote control that seem to last for years.

#16 · (Edited)
Current thoughts:
Guess there's Yellow Optima around $180.
No Diehard Gold, only Diehard with 1 1/2 year warranty.
Deka website only shows no maintenance 5 or 6 year battery. Not available in Tucson. There is a Rayovac battery from Batteries Plus that looks just like the Deka but I think it's one of the 1 year warranty ones.
Exide website shows Classic, Extreme, or AGM. Supposedly I can get them from a repair shop in Tucson. Don't know cost, need to check.

I'm thinking if the Exide AGM is available for $180 I'll get that. Your thoughts anyone? Has anyone had an Exide?

Final note: Went to a local auto shop for the Exide. He said he didn't have any but could get me the Deka. I asked if it was the AGM, he said yes. Picked it up today and it's not the AGM. I don't think Deka makes a 51R AGM anymore. (or if they ever did). Bought the maintenace free Deka because it's the only 5 year battery in town. Cost $118.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.