MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,542 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
I really used to like minis, until I saw the dash... Wtf is up with the giant speedometer in the center...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
525 Posts
I really used to like minis, until I saw the dash... Wtf is up with the giant speedometer in the center...

IV heard that its like that because these are originally rally cars. Rally drivers always have a co-pilot that calls directions and speed of the course, so having it big and in the middle is key for both drivers.

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
Yes - the Mini website says the center gauge idea was because the copilot needed access to the info. In my Scion xB, the gauge cluster is off to the right a bit, and it took some getting used to.

Eventually, I've come to like it, because it frees up space in front of you and you don't need to look at the gauges all the time. More important to look at the road - so it's really a workable idea.

The original Mini Coopers were cars of legend. They took first place in countless Rallies. The platform is totally proven. For performance, I'm sure any of the new models could hang with a Spyder through anything.

That doesn't address the fact that they look dinky. Like clown cars. The Clubman version is about the best of the lot.

·
Registered
95 Posts
"It's timeless design, automatic spoiler and amazingly nimble performance will leave you beaming for days."

Hmmm...Only for days? Don't people want a sports car that makes them "beam" every day?

·
Registered
698 Posts

Well, Porsche and Ferrari use to have large tach, easily seen from anywhere in the car with a much smaller speedo. The reason a speeding ticket cost a few bucks, but a *NEW* engine cost *LOTS* more.

Mini just missed the execution on this...

·
Registered
781 Posts
Deleted - wrong thread.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts