MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any knowledge or opinions on using this battery for double duty (street/track)? It's rated the same cca as the deka etx15, but is a dry cell agm and is only 7.7lbs. As opposed to 11. Reliability and longevity are my main concern.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Anyone have any knowledge or opinions on using this battery for double duty (street/track)? It's rated the same cca as the deka etx15, but is a dry cell agm and is only 7.7lbs. As opposed to 11. Reliability and longevity are my main concern.
Many batteries will skimp in one area to gain in another. For example, it might have the same CCA as a heavier deka version but it probably has a lower capacity. Compare all the numbers to get the real story, not just CCA. Also make sure the CCA is tested at the same temperature, some batteries test at 0 degrees F, others test at 32 degrees F.

·
Registered
217 Posts
It may also help to give us a link or something to which battery you are actually talking about.

Many of those light weight gel batteries are much smaller. They manage to put out decent CCA but they just cant hold as much charge due to their size. People do use those braille or other similar brand batteries in their daily driver cars without too many problems, if you just have standard equipment (ie. no massive stereo system) it will be fine, providing you dont leave the car too long. It wont last a month without running like a standard battery will, you'll probably have to keep it on a float charger or possibly just disconnect it if leaving it for more than a week.

I'd say there'd be a bit of hit and miss when your working out how long it will actually last without the car being driven. Might be worth keeping a jump starter handy.

This thread is worth reading for peoples experiences with these light weight type batteries

http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?28608-Deka-batteries

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car does get driven at least once a week during the summer, but the crank pulley is under driven. I would probably have the battery on a tender whenever it was in the garage. And dry cell agm vs. regular agm insight? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
I think AGM batteries have proven themselves to be the better battery technology for the long hull as long as you don't trickle charge them. Optima batteries do not live up to the hype and neither does the unproven lipo technologies. Deka is a good quality battery and the best thing about it is if you disconnect them and keep them in storage they will hold their capacitance for a very long time.
I am convinced that AGM will be the practical proven technology to surpass lead acid.

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
The car does get driven at least once a week during the summer, but the crank pulley is under driven. I would probably have the battery on a tender whenever it was in the garage. And dry cell agm vs. regular agm insight? Thanks guys!
I would not go with a smaller lightweight battery with low capacitance regardless of the technology if you
are using a under drive pulley that will effect the alternator rotations.
Although these batteries are light they will take a beating because they need to supply reserve bursts of energy so that the electrical system does not sag. A battery in a way acts like a quick reserve on tap with a very high ESR to stabilize voltage. If your voltage has transient drops it can effect ignition and your battery along with your alternator will take a beating. The effect on ignition can be profound over time and you may see a decay in engine horsepower that you will only notice after you get a new battery or alternator.

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I was wondering about that, because there is a noticeable drop in light output at idle. If I could save 10lbs or so and relocate to the front I would still consider it a win. Do you think an etx16 has enough oompfh to deal with the stresses of underdriving?

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
Yeah I was wondering about that, because there is a noticeable drop in light output at idle. If I could save 10lbs or so and relocate to the front I would still consider it a win. Do you think an etx16 has enough oompfh to deal with the stresses of underdriving?
Hard to tell however I think it might. Deka at that size is better then standard batteries double it's size.

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like I'm going to have to do a bit more research before I buy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts