MR2 SpyderChat banner

21 - 40 of 1170 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I think some of us are still waiting for a complete 2gr kits. Everything in 1 package. You would just have to source the engine and trans. ATS was going to do this but they were run off from this forum.

After killing the 2zz I have to now consider if I want to stay with another 2zz turbo or go 2gr. I think a 2gr is the only reliable way to get 300hp from a stock factory engine. I would like to go 2gr but it's a lot more complicated to just get started with collected all the necessary parts for the swap.
I personally won't be making a 2GR kit for the spyder. there's just way too much cutting needed on the body to get it to fit right with more than 3" of ground clearance and from everything i've seen so far making a kit that requires body work is a great way to kill sales.

·
3,303 Posts
If it was a good swap kit, I think a 2AR swap would be a good way to upgrade. The 2GR swap just isn't practical, with all the cutting and fab work and K swaps are limited by emissions, so I think a 2AR swap would be a good way to keep this chassis alive into the future.

·
Registered
9,678 Posts
there's just way too much cutting needed on the body to get it to fit right with more than 3" of ground clearance and from everything i've seen so far making a kit that requires body work is a great way to kill sales.
From the man himself and this is exactly why I knew the v6 swap is not a viable swap for the spyder.

2AR vs K24/20 is no contest in all aspects other than cali emissions.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
From the man himself and this is exactly why I knew the v6 swap is not a viable swap for the spyder.

2AR vs K24/20 is no contest in all aspects other than cali emissions.

Don't get me wrong, the 2GR swap in the spyder is possible. but it requires a bunch of cutting to set the engine at the appropriate height and further cutting to create access panels to service the engine. the extra weight also needs to be compensated for with heavier rear springs and the car's balance needs to be corrected with sway bar changes. So what i'm saying there is that a "kit" can only provide a small fraction of the work needed to make that happen. and if someone wants to use that engine and knows how to do all that work using the MKII engine mount and adding a couple mounting plates to the engine bay is the easiest part of that solution.

Woodsport has done a couple clean swaps with the engine mounted in an appropriate location, it can be done with plenty of fabrication.

I do agree with the california statement, but there simply aren't enough people in california that are modifying these kinds of cars to justify any kind of market.

I think in will build myself a 2AR spyder and we'll see where things go from there. First step is i have to find a decent chassis.

·
Registered
2 Posts
looking for a mount for a trans axel bearing

Good morning mike on this end as the title says I put a o5 1zz motor out of a corolla in my 2000 spyder do you make a mount to do so here is my cell if you would like to call 608-732-6912 email [email protected]

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think a 2AR-FE kit supported by Gouky would be awesome! The parts he has designed for the MKII 2GR are amazing, and the headers are practically works of art. If Doug at wiregap were to provide support with the harnesses, this would be almost as plug n play as a 2zz. The A/C issues with the K series would keep me from ever going that route. Although, there is no doubt in my mind that a properly done K motor is a total beast.

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
Not trying to be nosy, but where in Indy are you located? I'm in the 86th&Ditch Rd area. It's cool you're doing something, the ECU stuff, that's been considered impossible.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Not trying to be nosy, but where in Indy are you located? I'm in the 86th&Ditch Rd area. It's cool you're doing something, the ECU stuff, that's been considered impossible.
I'm actually up in Zionsville.

as for the ECU stuff, it's pretty early in the process and there's a bunch of data left to find. but I'm pretty excited about the possibilities.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I too would also love to see a comprehensive swap kit for the 2GR. There is lots of information, but no definitive path to follow yet.

2AR would be interesting as well. Subscribed for updates.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I'm actually up in Zionsville.

as for the ECU stuff, it's pretty early in the process and there's a bunch of data left to find. but I'm pretty excited about the possibilities.
Is it possible that the stuff you're doing with the new ECUs can be used to flash the 1ZZ/2ZZ ECUs? IMO a big roadblock to tuning the 1ZZ is the fact that the price of entry is a 1200 PFC + datalogit setup.

·
3,303 Posts
LOL.. are you still seriously hoping that your 1ZZ will magically become a performance engine if the 1zz ECU is tunable?

I needed this laugh today. Thank you.

-Genghis Khan
Being able to tune the factory ecu for cents on the dollar would be a game changer... My power fc was by far the biggest hp producer out of all my power mods.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Pretty sure you're the laugh here.

Tuning the 1ZZ opens up the capability to FI the car without a custom ECU, retaining OBD II, not spending hundreds or thousands on limited piggybacks or good standalones, or just avoid the MAF mod's "trickery" (brilliant but not perfect) and just advance timing and optimize fueling on stock injectors with no spacer and proper MAF readings. It will make people's lives much easier. Having a stock tuned ECU beats having a PowerFC or piggyback.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Pretty sure you're the laugh here.

Tuning the 1ZZ opens up the capability to FI the car without a custom ECU, retaining OBD II, not spending hundreds or thousands on limited piggybacks or good standalones, or just avoid the MAF mod's "trickery" (brilliant but not perfect) and just advance timing and optimize fueling on stock injectors with no spacer and proper MAF readings. It will make people's lives much easier. Having a stock tuned ECU beats having a PowerFC or piggyback.
Let me ask you a question sir.. why do you want the OBD2?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Let me ask you a question sir.. why do you want the OBD2?
Because we live in California.

If tuning a 1ZZ were a 500 dollar affair like it is with OFT tunable cars (987/997, BRZ/FRS, Miata), I would've gotten a 1ZZ car. Sure it's not going to be a 2ZZ, but it doesn't come with the smog check headaches. I took the leap for a 2ZZ and am questioning whether that was a good move.

You could strap a legal TRD supercharger to a 1ZZ with slightly upgraded valvetrain and it would make 2ZZ power even with a smog check compliant exhaust, at the same weight as a 2ZZ. Probably less reliable, but even a 2003 1ZZ shortblock is pretty cheap. Actually you can probably get any supercharger you want past smog.

Or just go NA, with cams you should be able to get near the 160-170bhp range, which is honestly not bad.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
It sounds like a good idea to have the 2ar and eb trans. Is that the combo in the scion tc?
Yeah, it's the same setup as the TC as well as the 2010/2011 camry

Is it possible that the stuff you're doing with the new ECUs can be used to flash the 1ZZ/2ZZ ECUs? IMO a big roadblock to tuning the 1ZZ is the fact that the price of entry is a 1200 PFC + datalogit setup.
It absolutely is possible, but the investment in time is huge on something like this and i don't have any interest in adding this to my line of products.

on a related note, i've come up with an agreement to purchase a test mule, we're working out the shipping details right now.

21 - 40 of 1170 Posts
About this Discussion
1.2K Replies
74 Participants
rmeller
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing