MR2 SpyderChat banner

41 - 60 of 1170 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Diagnostics with basic tools, like a Bluetooth connection to my phone. Check engine light. California smog test. Pick your favorite. Mine happens to be that last one, which would keep a car smog technically smog legal when tuning.
except it would not actually keep it legal, it would just be undetectable.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Diagnostics with basic tools, like a Bluetooth connection to my phone. Check engine light. California smog test. Pick your favorite. Mine happens to be that last one, which would keep a car smog technically smog legal when tuning.
My Friend, say if your 1zz ECU is tunable and you tuned it to perform better/aggressive than stock and you gained a measly 5whp, you might not pass the sniff even if you have a functioning ODB2.

I know, it simply sucks. 1zz sucks. There's no hope. You want to add 50whp to your 1zz then it won't pass smog... you want to pass smog then your 1zz is in its garbage form. The best possible solution for your crave for power and the ability to pass smog test is a BAR certified 2zz swap. That's it.

It has been proven and done many times and there are millions of documentation out there..

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
except it would not actually keep it legal, it would just be undetectable.
What they don't know won't fail me :p I know, but undetectable is plenty good enough for me.

My Friend, say if your 1zz ECU is tunable and you tuned it to perform better/aggressive than stock and you gained a measly 5whp, you might not pass the sniff even if you have a functioning ODB2.

I know, it simply sucks. 1zz sucks. There's no hope. You want to add 50whp to your 1zz then it won't pass smog... you want to pass smog then your 1zz is in its garbage form. The best possible solution for your crave for power and the ability to pass smog test is a BAR certified 2zz swap. That's it.

It has been proven and done many times and there are millions of documentation out there..
Once again, you missed the point entirely. A gain of 5WHP is a joke, much like your statements. You can gain far more with bolt ons and a tune, maybe cams too. Also, we don't do sniffers for cars over 2000 so it's just plug in. It'll pass sniffer either way, but it doesn't have to. Misinformation doesn't belong on a forum.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Because we live in California.

If tuning a 1ZZ were a 500 dollar affair like it is with OFT tunable cars (987/997, BRZ/FRS, Miata), I would've gotten a 1ZZ car. Sure it's not going to be a 2ZZ, but it doesn't come with the smog check headaches. I took the leap for a 2ZZ and am questioning whether that was a good move.

You could strap a legal TRD supercharger to a 1ZZ with slightly upgraded valvetrain and it would make 2ZZ power even with a smog check compliant exhaust, at the same weight as a 2ZZ. Probably less reliable, but even a 2003 1ZZ shortblock is pretty cheap. Actually you can probably get any supercharger you want past smog.

Or just go NA, with cams you should be able to get near the 160-170bhp range, which is honestly not bad.
Sigh.. do you think if you tune a 1zz for 160-170bhp N/A it will pass the sniff? You guys are only looking at the OBD2 compliant but missing the point. If you start modifying an engine to become more aggressive, then there's a big chance that it will not pass the sniff.

BTW, the Celica GT-S 00-01 ECU will pass the OBD2 compliant test and will not register it is from a Celica GT-S. It might fail the visual though if the inspector is meticulous. The 2zz will pass sniff because any 2zz car has only 1 cat and 1 cat is more than enough to make your CO/2 or NOX level on the passing mark. Also, the smog station is not going to rev the 2zz at 6k+ where it will probably fail sniff.

·
Registered
542 Posts
What they don't know won't fail me :p I know, but undetectable is plenty good enough for me.

Once again, you missed the point entirely. A gain of 5WHP is a joke, much like your statements. You can gain far more with bolt ons and a tune, maybe cams too. Also, we don't do sniffers for cars over 2000 so it's just plug in. It'll pass sniffer either way, but it doesn't have to. Misinformation doesn't belong on a forum.
Good luck. Please let us know when they put something in your tail pipe when you get your smog test.

Keep dreaming on your 1zz becoming powerful and legal.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Did you just ignore a fact about California smog coming from a Californian who has done smog without tailpipe emissions? I smogged my car mere months ago. They plugged it in, looked it over, and gave me the paperwork that it passed. No dyno run, no sniffer.

Please, if you're going to try to make a point, make sure it's not factually wrong.

If you still don't trust me, here's a link with info. http://www.smogtips.com/new-smog-law-ab-2289.cfm

If you don't trust that site, here's the government site. https://www.bar.ca.gov/Consumer/New_Smog_Check_Test.html

If you don't trust that, ask the Illuminati.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
True, but it's better correcting misinformation than leaving it. Don't want people to "learn" from that.

It's a shame you won't be doing a flashable 1ZZ ECU. Any chance there would be a specific number of people that display interest that would change your mind?
Not won't. Can't. The 1ZZ ECUs are the old 16 bit architecture and are not reflashable.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
hacked 2AR ECU?

will you give me info on how it is done? Please
The unintended acceleration reports revealed that the chip underneath is a V850 architecture that is just relabeled as a Denso ecu. I'm just using JTAG tools to read and write it along with a few tricks to disable read protection.

from there is a bunch of discovery to figure out what part of the binary are related to what and figuring out how to modify it. reading and writing the ECU is complicated but it ends up being the trivial part of this endeavor.

I'm already doing this for the 2gr-fe ECU, the changes i make there are relatively simple:
-raise revlimiter to 7200RPM
-remove automatic transmission codes
-remove evap codes (if desired)

I can also change timing and fueling, but these ECUs are very well tuned as they are, there really isn't any power to get without actual engine mods.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Not won't. Can't. The 1ZZ ECUs are the old 16 bit architecture and are not reflashable.
I thought this myself, but Gouky seems to think it's possible.

It absolutely is possible, but the investment in time is huge on something like this and i don't have any interest in adding this to my line of products.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
don't read too much into it. I haven't looked into it. in fact a quick look shows this:

looks like there's no JTAG port on that side of the board, but it looks like the same type of CPU as the 2GR/2AR so it's very likely reflashable.

·
Registered
22,969 Posts
I discussed this with a Toyota master tech and he said they are reflashable but only within the Toyota environment which uses a special machine that only accepts a Toyota file that cannot be manipulated.
Others have tried to crack the ECU but they were completely unsuccessful in their attempt. One company in particular claimed to have hacked the ECU but it turned out to be a fraudulent lie and they were exposed.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
If you're really the first person who can flash a Toyota ecu, you should focus your time on tuning 2GRs, since they can be found in a bunch of performance applications. You could get a lot of business through the 2GR swap and Lotus Evora crowd, and probably from Tacoma's too (why get the TRD supercharger when you can do an exhaust and tune).

In stock form Toyotas are pretty well tuned but a modified exhaust makes the stock VVTi settings not work so well in the midrange.

I guess the Scion tC crowd would be interested in the 2AR tune but I can't see the effort to research a Spyder swap being worth it.

Sent from my Redmi 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I discussed this with a Toyota master tech and he said they are reflashable but only within the Toyota environment which uses a special machine that only accepts a Toyota file that cannot be manipulated.
Others have tried to crack the ECU but they were completely unsuccessful in their attempt. One company in particular claimed to have hacked the ECU but it turned out to be a fraudulent lie and they were exposed.
and there's the evidence. the ECU is reflashable but it hasn't been cracked yet. someone would have to spend a *TON* of time on it to do it and that someone isn't going to be me.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
If you're really the first person who can flash a Toyota ecu, you should focus your time on tuning 2GRs, since they can be found in a bunch of performance applications. You could get a lot of business through the 2GR swap and Lotus Evora crowd, and probably from Tacoma's too (why get the TRD supercharger when you can do an exhaust and tune).

In stock form Toyotas are pretty well tuned but a modified exhaust makes the stock VVTi settings not work so well in the midrange.

I guess the Scion tC crowd would be interested in the 2AR tune but I can't see the effort to research a Spyder swap being worth it.

Sent from my Redmi 3 using Tapatalk

I'm not the only one. there are others out there doing this, the difference is i'm focusing on the MR2 swap crowd. I admit i purchased the checksum algorithm from some underground russian hackers.

as for performance room on the stock tune, nobody is pushing the intake and exhaust changes much more than the MR2 crowd since we package these engines completely differently. To the point where we get about 50-70HP over stock and the stock ECU does great. I've also tuned one of these ECUs completely from scratch with an AEM Infinity-6 and did not get more power from it other than the little bit available for running on the rich end of the power band (12.5:1) instead of a more economical tune.

the only power gains to be had are right at the top, the stock tune rolls off the cams a bit and there's 5-10HP there. there's also a bunch of torque available below 4k on the FWD tunes that can be found on the AWD tunes. probably to avoid torque steer at the bottom.

·
Registered
542 Posts
May I ask why you care?
Because I am a very caring person Mr Carl.

Did you just ignore a fact about California smog coming from a Californian who has done smog without tailpipe emissions? I smogged my car mere months ago. They plugged it in, looked it over, and gave me the paperwork that it passed. No dyno run, no sniffer.

Please, if you're going to try to make a point, make sure it's not factually wrong.

If you still don't trust me, here's a link with info. http://www.smogtips.com/new-smog-law-ab-2289.cfm

If you don't trust that site, here's the government site. https://www.bar.ca.gov/Consumer/New_Smog_Check_Test.html

If you don't trust that, ask the Illuminati.
I apologize for my mistake.

It looks like the easiest way for you to have a Spyder with a kick is through 2zz swap. Join the darkside.. so Carl will join too. BUWAHHHAAAAHAAAA!!!

41 - 60 of 1170 Posts
About this Discussion
1.2K Replies
74 Participants
rmeller
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing