MR2 SpyderChat banner

1121 - 1140 of 1170 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,121
Hi Gouky,
One reason I haven’t replied is for some reason I haven’t been getting email notifications the last month or so when new posts have been made. I thought you were taking a break but when I signed in obviously you haven’t with all the videos and progress on the wiring harnesses. I wonder if this is for just me or others too?

Anyways, I will check out the videos and you can count me in for the wiring harnesses and body controller PCB as soon as they’re ready.
Cheers, Josh
That's really unfortunate and may explain why the traffic to this thread has really died. Maybe it's time to move this thread to a new one then if very few are subscribed to this one anymore. Is anyone else getting notifications of this thread being posted to that hasn't re-subscribed to it? This really makes me pretty mad given all the effort i put towards those videos that i somehow lost my audience just before posting those.

While i have taken breaks, as you saw i certainly have not in the last month. The videos have been posted and the wiring harnesses should be for sale any day now. the PCB should have also been for sale next week but i made an error on the circuit board so the junction box (no BEAN) will be available this week and the BEAN version will follow shortly once i can turn a new revision of the board.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've read every post without fail. I'm just a broke boi and won't be doing this swap so I'm of no help. But I'm rooting for ya!
Same boat for me until I start my new job next week. Been watching the progress on this for a while now. Very cool to have another option. I'm torn between wanting to do this or get in over my head and try to destroke a 2gr.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,125
Same boat for me until I start my new job next week. Been watching the progress on this for a while now. Very cool to have another option. I'm torn between wanting to do this or get in over my head and try to destroke a 2gr.
Congrats on the new job!

I'm not sure why you'd destroke a 2gr, with the right valvetrain springs it'll already do 8000 on otherwise stock components.

Another alternative for high revving, keep in mind that Papadakis racing has the 2ar stroked to 2.7L and is spinning it to 9500rpm. But he does have a ton of valvetrain bits in there for you to get in over your head with :)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,127
I'm literally drooling right now.
I went looking for videos and apparently i did not remember 100% properly. it looks like they run to 9000, not 9500RPM.

This video shows exactly how much goes into a 2AR to spin it to 9000RPM and make 1007hp:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,129
Oh boy that's pretty. All except that STUPID rotated coil. Why aren't they even?! WHY TOYOTA?!
Considering manufacturers usually take a different route and make a custom part for this application I'm thrilled that Toyota just rotated it instead. Now we have access to way more different part numbers of coils and are way more likely to have performance coils made for this thing. The reason the valve cover is so busy is because it contains all the VVT-I oil routing which eliminates any external oil lines and failure points and also contains a cam lobe pressure oiling system and a big oil/air seperator for the crank case ventilation system. With all these benefits, having to rotate a coil 40 degrees to fit everything in is an awesome and insignificant compromise. also consider that the stock application has a cover so none of this is visible anyways.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,131
a 2.7 L 4-cylinder without balance shafts is going to be an vibration nightmare for anything driven on the street.
The 2.7L crankshaft is actually from the 1AR-FE which is identical externally to the 2AR-FE so you can swap the whole motor in. Right from Toyota that motor comes with a pair of balance shafts so if you intend on street driving it there's no problems there.

Also, if you do some reading about Papadakis' engine build over the years you'll see that he was at the 800whp power level for years using the stock 1ar-fe crankshaft.

800whp in a 2300lb car is not really streetable anyways so there's no point in arguing about the inability to keep that crankshaft when going from 800whp to 1000whp. But if that's your issue it should be possible to find someone to make a custom crank that can add that set of spur gear on the crankshaft for the balance shaft.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,132 (Edited)
Huge step today, the junction box is now available for sale: https://frankensteinmotorworks.squarespace.com/mr2-spyder-shop

The BEAN code is now fully functional but i want to do more testing before releasing it. Also, there's a wire at the wrong place so I have to run yet another circuit board to fix it. But since the board is good enough for a junction box i put a connector on a few of them so i could put it up for sale.

In order for people to get started right away, I am offering a full refund towards the price of the BEAN version on any modules purchased before the BEAN version is available.

And yes, I'm aware that some of you are still waiting for A/C.That's going to get worked on in the near future also.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Considering manufacturers usually take a different route and make a custom part for this application I'm thrilled that Toyota just rotated it instead. Now we have access to way more different part numbers of coils and are way more likely to have performance coils made for this thing. The reason the valve cover is so busy is because it contains all the VVT-I oil routing which eliminates any external oil lines and failure points and also contains a cam lobe pressure oiling system and a big oil/air seperator for the crank case ventilation system. With all these benefits, having to rotate a coil 40 degrees to fit everything in is an awesome and insignificant compromise. also consider that the stock application has a cover so none of this is visible anyways.
To be clear, I was making a joke, that's literally the least important thing ever. I do appreciate the genius behind it, especially after seeing that teardown.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,136
To be clear, I was making a joke, that's literally the least important thing ever. I do appreciate the genius behind it, especially after seeing that teardown.
There's nothing in that text to indicate it was sarcasm and I've had people complain about even less important things so i just took it as if you were actually complaining about that and used it as an opportunity to outline the advanced features in the valve cover.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mark,
I was wondering if you had a comparison between 2zz and the 2ar. The price difference seem wide so I am just trying to get a perspective.

While I prepare to sell my SW20 I am shocked at how rare the zzw30 are in my area. I have been looking for two weeks on the road and I haven't seen one!

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
There's nothing in that text to indicate it was sarcasm and I've had people complain about even less important things so i just took it as if you were actually complaining about that and used it as an opportunity to outline the advanced features in the valve cover.
Sarcasm does not travel well over the internet sadly.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,139
Mark,
I was wondering if you had a comparison between 2zz and the 2ar. The price difference seem wide so I am just trying to get a perspective.

While I prepare to sell my SW20 I am shocked at how rare the zzw30 are in my area. I have been looking for two weeks on the road and I haven't seen one!
Part of the rarity of the MKIII is because they only made about 30k or so for the USA where the MKII got about 130k for the USA. But a bit of patient looking will allow you to find one.

As for comparing them, the re's no way you can ever make something that everyone thinks is a fair representation but I tried to find dyno plots for the different engines with similar mods (header, intake, tune, no internals) and this is what it all overlays to:

Note of course that the output for all these engines could be as high as you want as long as you're willing to spend the money but at the end of the day, the more displacement you have the easier it generally is to make more power and the 2AR has the most displacement of all the 4 cylinder options available for this car and even if you start counting ways to add displacement the 2AR wins since there's a 2.7L crank available right from toyota for $600 which is way cheaper than any other stroker crank out there. Increasing the bore though is going to be pretty much the same price as any other motor out there so there's no contest there.

If your comparison was swap costs, you're going to have a hard time making the 2AR cheaper than the 2ZZ because of the transmission swap that has to happen at the same time as the 2AR. If you use all of my parts to help and shop carefully for the engine and trans (pick & pull) you can get the 2AR swap down to about $4000. Realisticaly you'll also want the lightweight flywheel and a better clutch so you'll be in the $4500 range. If you're in a hurry and don't want to pull your own motor and transfrom the junkyard you'll be looking at closer to $5500-6000. While many people have spent that on a 2ZZ swap it can certainly be done for much cheaper.

1121 - 1140 of 1170 Posts
About this Discussion
1.2K Replies
74 Participants
rmeller
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing