MR2 SpyderChat banner

1161 - 1170 of 1170 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,161 (Edited)
BEAN update today, Randy dropped by for some final debugging on the pre-production body controller today.

The resulting video is here:

The technical details for those that care. There was a scaling issue on the temperature conversion from CAN to the gauge, i fixed that. Also i had the polarity on the Oil pressure light flipped so i inverted that. At this point I'm thrilled with the software. Other than the A/C software I feel that it is done at this point.

I am adding two more feature to the production version though.
1) Power steering pump control to disable the power steering pump when the engine isn't running.
2) Coolant fan control for non 2AR-FE swaps. For the 2GR-FE and probably other swaps where the engine controller does not control the coolant fans the body controller will trigger the fans on to avoid needing yet another module for the swap.

Also, right now I've got a few resistors on the board to protect the OBDII port from a short circuit but if you short it you'd have to send the body controller back to me for repair. I will be adding a fuse holder on the circuit board to avoid the need to send it back. It's a real pain to get inside the ECU to replace a fuse but there's just no other good way to protect that line since it isn't designed for 15A and that's all i have available for permanently on power sources.

I expect to send off for production intent boards next week. I'll assemble the first 10 boards here myself while i seek out a manufacturer to make the 2nd batch with a proper pick & place.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,162
I think I got the production intent circuit board design wrapped up but i do have a question for you guys. I added the ability to control the coolant fans from the body controller for the 2GR-FE swaps and possibly other swaps. the 2AR-FE has integrated cooling fan control. To configure these options i decided to just put a few traces that you can cut. Are you guys comfortable with this method of configuration? (C & D aren't used at the moment yet, trying to think of other things that may need to be configured)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,164
The holes on either side of the wire are designed for a wire jumper to be soldered back in if something needs to be changed.

The issue is jumpers are not reliable with the heat cycles and dip switches are not compatible with the conformal coating that i want to use over the whole board to protect it. I thought about it for a bit and Holley uses a cut wire to configure their simple modules, this is the same idea but not a wire, a trace on the board.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,166
Yeah, conformal coating is required for an application like this if you want it to last as long as the rest of the car. I'm doing my best to make this to OEM quality. I don't have the resources to do all the testing they would do but i can at least follow the best practices.

Same thing with the tunes, I can't put millions of test miles but i take it to the race track and beat the crap out for hours and hours on end before selling it. I also put on a bunch of street miles to make sure regular road manners are good.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I think I got the production intent circuit board design wrapped up but i do have a question for you guys. I added the ability to control the coolant fans from the body controller for the 2GR-FE swaps and possibly other swaps. the 2AR-FE has integrated cooling fan control. To configure these options i decided to just put a few traces that you can cut. Are you guys comfortable with this method of configuration? (C & D aren't used at the moment yet, trying to think of other things that may need to be configured)
My impression is the stock 2GR has an autonomous fan controller. I haven't looked into it too much beyond troubleshooting some stock 2GR vehicles but I think it just receives a temperature input from the ECU over the Canbus. I don't think the ECU does any fan control. I'm not like 1 million percent certain about this sorry if I'm off. But if this is the case I'm not sure what this swap's body controller should be doing. .

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,168
Frank, that's exactly the problem i'm trying to solve with that tweak . The 2AR-FE controls its own fans but the 2GR-FE does not. In the MKII that isn't a problem because the A/C amplifier takes care of that for you but In the Spyder the stock ECU manages the fans. So the idea is if you are using this body controller with an ECU that can't control its own fans the body controller can take over that task for you, just cut the trace and the body controller will activate the fans based on the OBDII reported temperature.

1161 - 1170 of 1170 Posts
About this Discussion
1.2K Replies
74 Participants
rmeller
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing