MR2 SpyderChat banner

1361 - 1370 of 1370 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,362
I'm sorry, that's one of the disadvantages of not doing my own production. It gives me access to people that have way more knowledge in making parts than i ever will but it also means on a part like this i have to schedule with a tool & die shop, a casting shop and a machining shop.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,364
Cast parts is to keep the price down. I could get that just straight up machined but it would cost about 3x the price because of the complex shape here. I could make a much simpler part from bent sheetmetal for this but there's no way to keep the clearances as tight as they are so it would require firewall modifications or crossmember modifications.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'd rather wait a wee bit and get something that's right
I've come from a background of building some odd cars and I'm just happy there's even an option or someone choosing to make parts for such a niche application never mind decent ones.

Speaking of citting firewall. In your how to vids it shows you making a small clearance for the rocker cover how necessary is this. Read a few 2ar swap things and noone else has mentioned doing this.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,366
Yes, There's a small clearance for the alternator plug and a bit for the top of the engine. This was a compromise to keep the engine as high as possible in the engine bay but it's only about 10mm and the metal there is very thin so it does not take much to rework it. If you take a small plastic body hammer and make a ton of little hits instead of a few heavy hits you'll avoid damaging any paint.

The one for the alternator plug will stress the wires if you don't do it but will likely be fine. The one for the top of the engine absolutely has to be done. You can try the fitment without first to mark exactly where you need more precisely.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I was curious if you had a possible template of the area at the top that will need to be modified? Even if it is a paper one that comes with the kit at least we will not have to continue test fitting it for clearance multiple times.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I was curious if you had a possible template of the area at the top that will need to be modified? Even if it is a paper one that comes with the kit at least we will not have to continue test fitting it for clearance multiple times.
I don't think a template is really necessary ...pics and dimensions .

page 3 post # 44
2AR-FE Swap

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,370
I was just suggesting the test fit approach since it sounded like he was trying to absolutely minimize the area that had to be reworked.

look at this video, starting at 45 seconds in for all the instructions:

and make sure you actually watch for the picture insert at 1:15 because the chassis shown in the video was the one i developed on and has a way bigger space there than is actually necessary.

1361 - 1370 of 1370 Posts