MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what the general concensus was on wheel spacers. I have 18" black O.Z. ultraleggara in the rear and 16 in the front. I only want to use spacers on the rear but am not sure if it would be rice OR dangerous or both... Thanks.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
1. Wheel spacers in excess of 5mm are very dangerous (less so if you replace the lugs).
2. 18" wheels on this car are ridiculous--you would be better served by buying proper wheels or returning to stock and buying nice tires. You can always sell your 18's to some kid on a Civic forum... many of those are 4x100.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
im running 16x7+40 all around. went with a 5mm spacer in the back to even out the fitment. ARP studs & blox lug nuts. no horror storys yet!

·
Registered
663 Posts
are you sure thats because of spacers or is it because some stupid guy who put screwed on the lug nuts didnt torque them right?

what do you guys think of adding spacers to the front but not the rear wheels? safe? looks wierd?

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
Dangerous or not the thing most don't talk about is how they can make your bearings fail prematurely.
Wheel bearing replacement is not fun at all so much so that is the one thing I will pay someone to do.

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
I have probably 30,000 miles now on bolt on 16mm spacers on my car. No problem, no horror stories. Only much better wheel fitment.
I pulled them off this weekend during a brake job to swap the rears over to a 25mm spacer until I get wheels with a proper offset. 16x7 with a 40mm offset is super weak on these cars. I have slip on 5mm spacers up front too. No problems there after years of use.

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
I've ran spacers on other vehicles, and never had problems. I also didn't run them long enough to wear out a wheel bearing prematurely though, and made sure my lugnuts were torqued after installing and driving about 100 miles.

I agree with Dev though, spacers will put more stress on the wheel bearings, as it effectively acts as a lever to amplify the weight of the wheel. Although a lower offset wheel will do the same.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
are you sure thats because of spacers or is it because some stupid guy who put screwed on the lug nuts didnt torque them right?

what do you guys think of adding spacers to the front but not the rear wheels? safe? looks wierd?
Sure? Nope, I wasn't there... but... I could see someone neglecting to properly torque lug nuts on one wheel--but to have ALL FOUR wheels fall off about five seconds into an autocross run... I can think of only one explanation.

As I said before, this is not so dangerous if you are replacing lugs--but I have a friend with a jacked up fender on his Jetta due to running 10 mm spacers... it's not like you don't need that cm of thread engagement.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Sure? Nope, I wasn't there... but... I could see someone neglecting to properly torque lug nuts on one wheel--but to have ALL FOUR wheels fall off about five seconds into an autocross run... I can think of only one explanation.

As I said before, this is not so dangerous if you are replacing lugs--but I have a friend with a jacked up fender on his Jetta due to running 10 mm spacers... it's not like you don't need that cm of thread engagement.
Apparently the owner of the RX-7 had a shop order and torque on some aluminum lugs . The shop orders lugs that were slightly too large.

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
I have always heard these were good

http://www.ichibausa.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=37

They have both types. The type that bolts on to your hub and has a set of studs coming out of the spacer itself. And the type that is just a blank piece of aluminum that goes between the wheel and your hub

·
Registered
526 Posts
16x7 with a 40mm offset is super weak on these cars..[/QUOTE]

agreed... what im thinking i want to do is put the 5mm up front & try a 12.5mm in the back as i have a set lying around the house. would a slip on style be ok in a 12.5 or is it best to do the bolt on style when doing larger size spacers????

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
12.5mm is almost 1/2", that's a bit of a reduction in thread engagement, I would either run extended studs, or get a spacer with built in studs.

On the subject of extended studs, I've heard of people running Tundra studs and ARP studs. The ARP overall length is 2.6", does anyone have the measurements of the Tundra studs and the factory spyder studs?

Edit: I couldn't find info on OEM studs, but Dorman lists their spyder replacement stud, found here to be 40mm length. The Tundra studs they list as 44.5 mm length, found here. The Tundra studs are also .03mm smaller diameter on the knurled area than the spyder.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Like Dev said they can prematurely wear out the wheel bearings though thats pretty rare. The one thing to make sure on with them is to make sure whatever size you get be it 5mm or 25mm etc is that they are a hubcentric wheel spacer as that is where alot of the danger comes in if they are not hubcentric. Other than that making sure the studs are replaced with longer ones you should be perfectly fine. I have ran them on my corrado for 15k now without any issues.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I was wondering what the general concensus was on wheel spacers. I have 18" black O.Z. ultraleggara in the rear and 16 in the front. I only want to use spacers on the rear but am not sure if it would be rice OR dangerous or both... Thanks.
I'm running 10mm Ichiba spacers on the rear with hub (spigot) rings. I have installed the longer studs that they provided. These replace the factory studs and press in from the rear of the hub.

I would never use the spacers that just go between the hub and the wheel without utilising replacement studs - using standard studs with a spacer just feels wrong to me.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I would advise against running 5mm spacers on stock studs. I tried this and my left rear wheel came off while driving almost 70 mph on the freeway in Virginia. Lesson learned!

·
Registered
870 Posts
I thought they were dangerous, but after attending a car event on the week end (World Time Attack) where cars are doing well over 200kph, most of the cars had them...

Mind you they were all hub centric spacers, but these cars were quicker than our V8 Super cars / Touring cars!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts