MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So... Been reading all of the "ticking" and "rattling" posts but not quite finding a match to my problem. I've got a mostly stock (TM SS dual, Che header, no precat) 2000/5-speed manual with only 63K miles.

A slight ticking/tapping started maybe 2000 miles back. It was very slight for a long time (so much so that I initially chalked it up to just something I never noticed). The sound only happens when the car is moving. You can rev the engine all you want, but it does not happen unless the car is rolling down the road.

So it does happen in any gear, or even if the car is out of gear and coasting. The tick frequency is proportional to the car speed and you can here it slow and stop as the car stops.

There are no other symptoms best I can tell. It shifts smoothly, revs smoothly, brakes normally, etc. But the sound is getting louder and much more pronounced.

Hoping to get some pointers to what the experts here think is wrong so I can at least go into the fun and games with the repair shop informed and hopefully come out not loosing my shirt.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Could be a wheel bearing. Sound should go away on turns and return on straights (or exactly teh other way around).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bump and update

so its been a few weeks. Noise is a little louder. Still shifts smooth with no other issues other than the pronounced ticking noise. The frequency seems synched with the rear wheel RPMs. Definitely not the brakes. Any ideas before I go into the shop and try not to get soaked?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Look for any grease around the cv joint boots. My passenger inside boot started leaking grease and the bearing started to rattle/knock/vibrate but only under power. Noise stopped when I pushed in the clutch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.