Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I canged my oil , filter and air filter today and noticed a ticking
sound coming from the head. It's a 2001 manual with 140k on
the chasis and possibly About 100k on engine, I was a victim
Of precat failure at around 83k , the Toyota dealership replaced
The engine with a low mile junkyard ... I know it bs , but I had
An aftermarket warranty . Any suggestions would be appreciated.
The car is not throwing any codes and drive great.
If Cap could chime in that would be great.
Thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Shaking my head...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Was there a tick before the oil change?

Could be valve lash if the sound is high up in the engine. If it is a knock instead of a tick that would not be good.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The tick is noticed when the car is idling
At normal operating temps
Not when I'm driving
The oil filter is a fram
The car runs great ... FYI
Just trying to prevent a possible
Catastrophe
No ticks prior to oil change
But it's not a knock , no engine hesitation
Either

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
The tick is noticed when the car is idling
At normal operating temps
Not when I'm driving
The oil filter is a fram
The car runs great ... FYI
Just trying to prevent a possible
Catastrophe
The first thing I would do is replace the Fram filter. Fram oil filters have quality control issues and they still have not corrected them for so many years. In some cases they are known to collapse and reduce oil flow or pressure. There are many people that have encountered problems of this sort using bad oil filters like Fram, I'm not saying that is the problem but I would eliminate one of the possible known causes.

I highly recommend the Toyota Denso filter.

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
the bonus feature here is that you can take the filter off without draining the pan. get a Mr T filter fill it, install it check your oil and you are good to go.
Yes and what ever you do, don't drive your car until you replace the oil filter.

Once you swap oil filters, cut open the Fram filter to inspect for damage. It is important to know if it is the cause of the ticking in case the ticking continues after the oil filter change. The reason why it might continue to tick is because the engine may be permanently damaged as a result of the bad oil filter may have been too late in the game.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes and what ever you do, don't drive your car until you replace the oil filter.

Once you swap oil filters, cut open the Fram filter to inspect for damage. It is important to know if it is the cause of the ticking in case the ticking continues after the oil filter change. The reason why it might continue to tick is because the engine may be permanently damaged as a result of the bad oil filter may have been too late in the game.
I haven't even put 10 miles on the car since
The oil change ...
Dev right after I changed the oil
I went to replace the poly bushings on the control
Arms ...???

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
I haven't even put 10 miles on the car since
The oil change ...
Dev right after I changed the oil
I went to replace the poly bushings on the control
Arms ...???
I don't see how changing the bushings would have any effect on the ticking sound you are experiencing at idle.

Lets first replace the oil filter and take it from there.

Then get the end of a broom stick, remove the sweeper and and while the car is idling we should place it one end on the valve train and the other end on your ear. This will help you locate the area where the tick is emanating from the engine.

·
Registered
764 Posts
i noticed spyder engines to be just as tickety as my civic 4-bangers were. but since its right behind your head, its much louder

im thinking this is all in your head (no pun intended) but dev's broom idea is radical and i will await updates to this thread

oh and T-bone, most of this year pep boys has had a sale on the castrol 0w30, its 5 quarts for 30 something bucks with a free fram oil filter. so i assume thats how he ended up with it (but i agree you should remove that fram asap)

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
i noticed spyder engines to be just as tickety as my civic 4-bangers were. but since its right behind your head, its much louder

im thinking this is all in your head (no pun intended) but dev's broom idea is radical and i will await updates to this thread

oh and T-bone, most of this year pep boys has had a sale on the castrol 0w30, its 5 quarts for 30 something bucks with a free fram oil filter. so i assume thats how he ended up with it (but i agree you should remove that fram asap)
It's just simple bone conduction. This is a very good way to isolate frequencies from other ambient and mechanical sounds.
It works great for figuring out if the sound is originating from the lower end or the head.

They have this really cool electronic tool that has a large data base of engine sounds and when you hold the microphone to an object it can give you the diagnosis. This includes wheel bearings and other components as well. How cool is that.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I'm just paranoid
But Im going to do another
Oil change with mobile 1
Fully synthetic and will get a new
Oil filter aswell
But why would the oil filter be an issue

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
I think I'm just paranoid
But Im going to do another
Oil change with mobile 1
Fully synthetic and will get a new
Oil filter aswell
But why would the oil filter be an issue
No need to be paranoid. The 0W30 is a thicker 30wt oil and it has a cushioning effect on contacting parts better then most Mobil one oils of the same grade. Just remove the oil filter and change it with a Toyota Denso one and observe.

The oil filter is an issue because Fram is a crappy oil filter that has been known to do this kind of thing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.