MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running a Tillet B5 race seat in a Spyder? Care to share your mounting details?

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Lookie here they have seats that are equally uncomfortable for a fraction of the price and they've weighed one for me 2.5kg.

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That just pulls up the main site. But at half the weight you have my interest. What seat specifically? I'm accustomed to early Elise S2 seats so I don't really care about comfort. My daily commute is about 50 ft from my bedroom to my office.

Anyway, those are decent prices. Too bad they are on the wrong side of the pond.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Shipping from UK to USA is incredibly cheap.

The weights for these seats are listed with their descriptions. The green Kevlar seat is 2kg but without any cushion, cover, or padding. The fiberglass seat is 3kg and less than $200 USD.

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have sat in the cup seats before. I would consider them. The question really is. Where the heck to get Cup R skins?!

As far as shipping something that size from the UK to Colorado. I may ask for a quote. I suspect it will be spendy. But as you said, the seats are cheap and quite light. If the cup seats if they are built similar to the real thing should have some sort of verifiable crash protection. I may be able to eek past tech inspection. They are lighter and that is my goal.

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not bad at all! Any idea where to get skins and how much they cost? Clearly a Lotus dealer is out of the question.

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just opened a dialogue with Nookie Composites in the UK. Looks like they produce something similar to tht B5 at a fraction of the price. Seems like they are not fond of shipping international but if I purchase a pair of seats maybe they will. Going to ask for weight with a carbon skin and low trimmed side still bolsters.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Link?

Nm I got it. The one big advantage of the B5 as far as I can tell is it has clear universal mounting points for the side brackets built in to the seats (you will still need a bottom bracket to mount to the floor like a PLANTED for example and those are HEAVY! unless you make your own weight reduced version) plus of course FIA homologated which NHRA does not care about. But I don't know if this is worth another $800 or so. Here's a great deal on side mount brackets, I never knew these existed until today:

I don't know why the other seats don't have any visible provision for mounting - elise spares told me you have to DIY that part.

So to your original question of how to mount this type of seat, here is a pic courtesy of Invictus

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Bumper Font

The side brackets can mount straight onto a floor cracket or if you wanted an adjustable seat you would put the side brackets onto a pair of sliders and then onto the floor bracket.

This would be the sliders:

And this would be an example of floor bracket

By now you are getting the idea that cost - and WEIGHT! - add up fast on these items. But still gonna be a big weight savings over OEM.

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yeah, those side brackets are WAY too heavy. I'll be DIYing my own from steel tabs. 90% sure I'm going to use sliders unless I can rig up a pivot for the seat. The aftermarket side plates that cover the whole damn seat bottom for no reason are stupid. It doesn't even improve strength or safety. Just a waste of material and extra weight. Why pay $$$ for a lightweight racing seat then bolt 10 lbs of steel to it?

Even Eltech states that the steel mounting brackets alone are 1.4kg / 3lbs!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Comfort for the B5 it is not bad. I am about 30 years old, 6' tall, 170 lbs. I have the pads installed and can go about 3 hours before getting a sore butt. They are definitely LOW. (much more than the corbeau FX1 pro) Lots of room between the roof and my head.

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for posting the pic with the sliders. This confirms my mounting plans will work. Now, I have seen lighter seats than the B5 but these look to be one of the more rigid options that still would allow access to the rear storage.

This may be a strange ask but would you mind posting a pic showing how much clearece there is to access the area behind the seats when the slider is all the way forward?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks for posting the pic with the sliders. This confirms my mounting plans will work. Now, I have seen lighter seats than the B5 but these look to be one of the more rigid options that still would allow access to the rear storage.

This may be a strange ask but would you mind posting a pic showing how much clearece there is to access the area behind the seats when the slider is all the way forward?
I will be away from the car for a while but can ask my brother to take a photo. It might not be a great representative because I have removed the cubby doors and soft top.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts