MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When is the MR2 timing belt scheduled for replacement? The service booklet is silent on MR2"s How about valve clearance adjustment also.

Thxs,
Trunkless

·
Registered
96 Posts
The 1ZZ has a timing chain, which according to Toyota will last the life of the engine. There have been tales of timing chain failure here - only two that I know of, you really have nothing to worry about. You should be more worried about gutting your precats and having fun with the top down.

As far as valve adjustment - I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in...

Remember, the search is your friend.

-Chris

·
Registered
23,072 Posts
Originally posted by Trunkless
When is the MR2 timing belt scheduled for replacement? The service booklet is silent on MR2"s How about valve clearance adjustment also.

Thxs,
Trunkless
There is a timing chain not a belt. Hopfully You take that out along with the engine.

These cars are virtually maintenance free to 100k. At 90-100k I would replace the sparkplugs, O2 sensors, PCV valve and coolant,

Replace the Trans fluid every 50k and the brake fluid every two years and you should be good.

After your 100k maintenance knock on wood and rack up the mileage until you need a replacement.

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
Metal chain. There is no service schedule for it.

According to the 2000 MY BGB
You can check it for stretch if you really want to know.
Maximum elongated length is 4.827 inches or 122.6mm.

Valve clearance is kept in spec using adjusting shims.

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
Originally posted by dev
...and the brake fluid every two years...
Dev, why? I'm not doubting you. I just never heard of such a thing. Is this something peculiar to sports cars or the Spyder?

·
Registered
11,174 Posts

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Originally posted by bmerton+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bmerton)</div>
Originally posted by Mark G@
<!--QuoteBegin-dev

Dev, why? I'm not doubting you. I just never heard of such a thing. Is this something peculiar to sports cars or the Spyder?
to the rescue!

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/bf/bf40142.htm

Buy yourself some Speedbleeders. Makes periodic flushing a piece of cake.[/b]
I got those on my old car. Normally you might have a friend press the brake pedal whilst you open and close the bleeder valve, but if you're like me you have no friends! In which case, you get the Speedbleeders.

Good product.

·
Registered
23,072 Posts
Originally posted by Mark G+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mark G)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-dev
Dev, why? I'm not doubting you. I just never heard of such a thing. Is this something peculiar to sports cars or the Spyder?[/b]
Well since bmerton saved all of us from so much typing I will tell you a story where my automotive guru and mentor demonstrated to me one day how important it was to bleed the braking system regularly and to use high quality brake fluid. He proceeds to make a stop from 70mph to 0 on my last car and noticed a great deal of brake fade which he commented on.
He then handed the car to me to repeat the test and when I did it I could not believe that my brakes failed and the pedal turned into a sponge.

Through this demonstration I was greatly enlightened and from that day onwards I come to realize that we all use our brakes and they work fine for the most part but when you need them the most they may not be there because you forgot to change and bleed the fluid.
I believe this may be one of the many reasons why most accidents happen which otherwise could have been avoided.

·
Registered
17,055 Posts
Brake fluid is also hygroscopic. The water that it absorbs will eventually rust something important (like a caliper) and cause it to fail. Cheap insurance to flush the brake lines.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Dev is very..ah..particular. About his car. And many other things, too. But he has a point. I wish I was so diligent. I never am, though. :oops:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts