MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
10,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who are inspired to create a How-to which will help guide us to do things we normally would pay for, here's a couple tips we'd like to see:

Create a list of tools, including where to get an "exotic" tool we'll need.
Use of rulers, coins, fingers in the pics help us judge size, when appropriate
Use a program like Photoshop, Paint, or similar to draw arrows pointing to things, with applicable descriptions or titles
Let us know the approximate time element of completing the task

Folks, what would you like to see???

·
Registered
72 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DaSpyda @ Feb 21 2008, 07:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Folks, what would you like to see???[/b]

I would really like to see factory torque specs on all nuts & bolts involved in the "how to". They are in the FSM, but not eveyone has one.

·
Registered
21,830 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BBYE V8 @ Sep 4 2008, 08:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DaSpyda @ Feb 21 2008, 07:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Folks, what would you like to see???[/b]

I would really like to see factory torque specs on all nuts & bolts involved in the "how to". They are in the FSM, but not eveyone has one.
[/b][/quote]
I agree for the most part. Although I do think that everyone should get a service manual. It's like having a book with every answer to every question you could have.

So who wants to see a "how-to" on changing a sliding pin on our front brake caliper? :p

·
Registered
72 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (darkday @ Sep 4 2008, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I do think that everyone should get a service manual. It's like having a book with every answer to every question you could have.[/b]
Agreed, FSMs are great. But despite it's usefulness, it's not easy to find what you want quickly. But these "how to" write ups are pretty well organized in step by step fashion; if the torque specs were in the reassembly part of a write up it would be even more useful.

·
Registered
21,830 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BBYE V8 @ Sep 4 2008, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (darkday @ Sep 4 2008, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do think that everyone should get a service manual. It's like having a book with every answer to every question you could have.[/b]
Agreed, FSMs are great. But despite it's usefulness, it's not easy to find what you want quickly. But these "how to" write ups are pretty well organized in step by step fashion; if the torque specs were in the reassembly part of a write up it would be even more useful.
[/b][/quote]
That is a good point.

·
Registered
94 Posts
First, I'd like to thank mods and members who have spent your time to give us info and instructions about "how to", thus save many of us time and trouble. This is extremely helpful and meaningful for a forum like this.

I LOVE my car, and I like to take care of it myself. Even if I'm rich, I would still build a garage with a shop lift and a whole bunch of tools and work on it myself. This "how to" thread help working on car even more enjoyable because it saves me a lot of sweat! :)

Now is my two cents. Can you gents put "how to" in to sub-categories like engine, cooling, body, exhaust, suspension,..., like that. First, it'll be easier to find, and second, if someone like me want to work on section by section of the car we won't miss anything.

Thanks a bunch and happy holidays!

·
10,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the suggestion.

I think we have enough "sub-Forums" now, and the How-to sub-Forum isn't divisible, anyway. I'd have to make it a whole Forum, which the subject is not broad enough for that.

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
Very silly suggestion. Especially because we don't exactly have the Library of Congress back there - it's just a few dozen titles. However, we could have a sticky that contains an ordered list of the titles and links to them, which would serve as a sort of index. The condition for having such a document is that someone would have to update it each and every time there was a library addition.

·
Registered
21,830 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (southerneditor @ Dec 6 2008, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Very silly suggestion. Especially because we don't exactly have the Library of Congress back there - it's just a few dozen titles. However, we could have a sticky that contains an ordered list of the titles and links to them, which would serve as a sort of index. The condition for having such a document is that someone would have to update it each and every time there was a library addition.[/b]
Or you can just do what I do. Take the broadest term you know for what you're looking for type it into search. Then select just the library/how-to forum for the search to search. You'll get 5 threads tops one or more being what you want. :icon_thumright:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts