MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, because it seems that everyone in the US is on back order for the Hankook Ventus RS-3 I am considering the Toyo R888 or the Nitto NT01. I have run the R888 in the past and liked them a lot. I guess what I am asking is if anyone has run the Nitto NT01 as well as the R888 and what they think of the Nitto tires? I was having a problem with the R888 getting them to temp. I ran nine Autox lap back to back because of timing light issues but even with that they were about 110 degrees at the end. I am hoping that the Nitto will have better grip when cool. Any thought or suggestions would be helpful.

PS. The size I am going to run is 225/45/15 in all corners.

Thanks again
Chris

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
I've heard from multiple sources that R888 suck bad. R888 complains are generally related to rapid heat cycling out. NT01 maintain grip until they cord. I'm on my second set and I think I'm about to be on my 3rd set cause RS3 are always on farkin backorder.

·
Registered
513 Posts
NT-01 is great from new to corded. Very consistent.

The 888 is not a good tire.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Have you looked at the Kumho XS? I just got some and love them. Haven't heard about how they do towards the end of their life though. Just another option. I use them as track tires so I don't know how they do in the rain or anything if you're getting tires for the street.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
This is a guess but it seems you are using treadwear ratings to compare tires which you shouldn't really do because it is a meaningless stat.

R888s will last ~5,000 miles on the street before they are completely bald, RS3s will go atleast 15k if not more. But the difference is only "40 treadwear rating".

The only other street tire option in 225/45/15 to the RS3s would be the Toyo R1Rs.

R888s operating temp is "160°F to 220°F" according to Toyo...

·
Registered
961 Posts
is this for track? then get Toyo R1As

For street, I would look at RE11s easier to get and on par if not slightly better than the RS3s. They will last longer and feel better than R888 but that is one sticky tire. I drove an elise with them and they are nice but they wear very quickly.
Since you're recommending them how do these mysterious R1As behave on track

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
NT-01 is great from new to corded. Very consistent.

The 888 is not a good tire.
^^^ Agreed. For awhile there I was driving too and from the track on NT-01s and they still performed flawlessly. I have since joined a group of friends in running street tires only so most us have transitioned to RS-3s which are also a very good tire (but on back order as you mentioned).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is a mixed use car mostly DD but I also do some Autox. I have looked at the Kumo XS and they look like they would be a great tire but I really want to run 225/45/15 on all corners. I have also found out that the Toyo R888 are a good rain tire and the Nitto NT01 are a killer dry tire. So says Good-Win-Racing. I think that I am goint to run the Nitto NT01 and see what I get. I found discount tire direct will ship for free make the set about 575 which is the best price I could find on the net. Thank for all the input.

Thanks again.
Chris

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
for a street tire I like the RA1. I actually used that tire as a street tire on the spyder when it was cheaper. It has similar grip to the NT-01 but it works better in the wet and lasts longer. However the RA1 price is now about the same as the R888. The NT-01 is about $25 cheaper per tire.

The R888 has the most dry grip when new but it heat cycles out faster. Then does not provide acceptable grip down to the chord as it wears like the RA1 and the Nt-01.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
RA1 is old news... Even the RS3 grips better than this horrible Rcomp. The old joke on the RA1 was "wow, they suck, but at least they suck for a long time!"

Why are you suggesting this tire?
It's the exact compound as the NT-01 only the Tread pattern is different.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Nitto is owned by Toyo. It's the same compagny.

The RA1 was a great tire! Full tread, great in the wet but if you wanted good performance on dry pavement, it needed to be shaved to get rid of the tread.

The NT-01 full tread is as good as the RA1 was shaved.

To go back on topic, if you don't use the car when it rains, the NT-01 is your tire of choice. If you do, don't go with the 888 cause it's ok when wet with full tread but it doesn't stay like this very long. A better choice is a good street tire like the RS3, XS, RE-11.

If you compare these tires with a professionnal driver, there is a difference between them but if your not a pro driver, any of these will make you a happy driver.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Nitto is owned by Toyo. It's the same compagny.

The RA1 was a great tire! Full tread, great in the wet but if you wanted good performance on dry pavement, it needed to be shaved to get rid of the tread.

The NT-01 full tread is as good as the RA1 was shaved.

To go back on topic, if you don't use the car when it rains, the NT-01 is your tire of choice. If you do, don't go with the 888 cause it's ok when wet with full tread but it doesn't stay like this very long. A better choice is a good street tire like the RS3, XS, RE-11.

If you compare these tires with a professionnal driver, there is a difference between them but if your not a pro driver, any of these will make you a happy driver.

Just my 2 cents.
I strongly advise that one does not attempt to use the Kumho XS in the rain, based on my experience with them, and based on a review or two that corroborates that experience. I used them on the street for about a year or so and never felt so unsafe in wet conditions. I would have to go no faster than 50-55 mph on the freeway because any faster would cause hydroplaning in all but the shallowest of standing waters.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts