MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Black 2005 MRS 5-speed w/LSD
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't remember it being like this in the old days. Their computerized tire nazis refuse to match wheels and tires that I know fit the MRS. "We're sorry; this doesn't match/fit your car." BS

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't remember it being like this in the old days. Their computerized tire nazis refuse to match wheels and tires that I know fit the MRS. "We're sorry; this doesn't match/fit your car." BS
My experience has been that you get what you need from TireRack if you select front and back separately. Since the tires are different sizes, it seems to confuse TireRack.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
The glitch in their system comes down to minutiae. For example if a stock tire has a certain load rating and you search by car make/model it won't show another tire of the same size specs with a different variable like load rating. Searching by tire size is the best (only) way to do any search on tire rack for sure....they've had this issue for quite some time now.

Reactions: Solennel

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I have used Tire Rack for years, and lately they have been disappointing. They list an availability on the site, but then the tires / wheels were backordered. A call from a "customer service" rep gave a probable shipping date that was also wrong. I ordered a tire / wheel package and learned the tires were in one warehouse and the wheels in another, so the order had to wait until both were in one warehouse. Be aware that some of the tire specs are not accurate as well, so it is best to check the tire manufacture site. Plus a local tire shop (who get their tires from Tire Rack!) can often beat their prices.

But I did get free shipping and mounting and balancing --- after waiting over a month.

·
Registered
2002 MR2 Spyder 1zz
72 Posts
I knew something had to be off when I put in my car and it told me there were absolutely no tires at all that would fit, lol. As with most other undertakings with these cars, at least in my experience - if you want it done right, you've got to go the distance and do it yourself

·
Registered
696 Posts
Try Discount Tire Direct

Reactions: Solennel

·
Registered
62 Posts
Try Discount Tire Direct
No matching sets either :(

I think we have to drop the rear to 205's to get the Yokohama Fleva's.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I have used Tire Rack for years, and lately they have been disappointing. They list an availability on the site, but then the tires / wheels were backordered. A call from a "customer service" rep gave a probable shipping date that was also wrong. I ordered a tire / wheel package and learned the tires were in one warehouse and the wheels in another, so the order had to wait until both were in one warehouse. Be aware that some of the tire specs are not accurate as well, so it is best to check the tire manufacture site. Plus a local tire shop (who get their tires from Tire Rack!) can often beat their prices.

But I did get free shipping and mounting and balancing --- after waiting over a month.
Supposedly tires are another item added to the list of "shortages" due to Covid

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
No matching sets either :(

I think we have to drop the rear to 205's to get the Yokohama Fleva's.
We just replaced 215/40-16 S-Drives with 205/45-16 Fleva's While the thread is quite a bit narrower, traction seems pretty close. We are running a 195 front, and they match up well

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Same. Went to order tires a week and a half ago, because the new-to-me Spyder had a mismatched set of junkers (recyclers!). Only found a pair of what I was after (not multitasking well, can't recall what make/model offhand). I usually go back and forth between TR and DTD, so off to Direct, I went. Had to order something else because they were also OOS. Think I ended up with some Toyos (meh?) for the stock wheels, meanwhile. Helps to have a Discount Tire locally though, so I can go bug them in person (kidding). Used to be Tire Rack, back East, though!

As so many others have pointed out, however, definitely do not search by car make/model, just by size, type, etc, then you won't get forced into their stringent options.

I knew something had to be off when I put in my car and it told me there were absolutely no tires at all that would fit, lol.

I can't remember what it blatted at me. Probably the same thing. Maybe because of the 15" front, and 16" rear, and the algorithm is dead set on SQUARE. 🥳

"Oh yeah, got to do this the involved way.."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts