MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a set of tires for my 2003 Spyder? I would like as close to stock as I can and have all four be the same brand. They don't make the originals anymore.

· Registered
223 Posts

· Registered
536 Posts
Can anyone recommend a set of tires for my 2003 Spyder? I would like as close to stock as I can and have all four be the same brand. They don't make the originals anymore.
You have have what appears to be a simple question. The answer is rather complicated, depending on several factors.
1 - will you be using the 2003 OEM wheels
2 - do you want summer tires, or do you drive in the snow or under 45 degree weather
3 - do you occasionally autocross, or even track/race your car

the most common recommended tire sizes these days that are close to OEM are 195/50R5 front and 205/45R16 rear. Right now the best summer tire in those sizes is the Yokohama Fleva. Very popular here on Spyderchat.
You can vary those sizes slightly to make different brands available. You are on your own for all-season or snow tires, however the selection list grows considerably.

Good luck.

Attachments

· Registered
87 Posts
I just got fleva in 185/55/15 and 205/50/16 at discount tire with them ordering through tirerack.com. The other option available was Toyo Extensa HPII that were a bit cheaper but had mixed wet traction reviews.

· Registered
2,832 Posts
Can anyone recommend a set of tires for my 2003 Spyder?
For summer only, I use 195/55-15 and 225/45-16. They are available as ZIII, R1R, and one other brand that I can't remember. For a wider variety of service, 185/55-15 and 205/50-16 from several sources. Both of these sets fit and put the speedo dead on. The Dunlop ZIII set have fantastic adhesion, and the Kumho PA keep the car off the ground until it is time for the ZIII again.

· Registered
1 Posts
ACCELERA PHI R’s were available in oem Sizes from OnlineTires.com. Cheap and I just ordered them in Nov/Dec. Cars been in for new paint, too, and wheel repaint so I haven’t driven in them yet. Pretty cheap for just a plain all season tire.

· Registered
1 Posts
Just don’t go “square” for simplicity or rotation…. Back “in the day” having “205s all the way around” was a sure recipe for rotating the car right into the ditch. There is a reason the front and rear are different…

· Registered
128 Posts
You have have what appears to be a simple question. The answer is rather complicated, depending on several factors.
1 - will you be using the 2003 OEM wheels
2 - do you want summer tires, or do you drive in the snow or under 45 degree weather
3 - do you occasionally autocross, or even track/race your car

the most common recommended tire sizes these days that are close to OEM are 195/50R5 front and 205/45R16 rear. Right now the best summer tire in those sizes is the Yokohama Fleva. Very popular here on Spyderchat.
You can vary those sizes slightly to make different brands available. You are on your own for all-season or snow tires, however the selection list grows considerably.

Good luck.
I don’t know who’s in charge of that list, but they need to add 195/55R15 to the front options. It’s only 0.42” taller than stock, and is a perfect match to 225/45/R16 rear, having the same width and height differences between the stock front and rear staggered sizes.

I’ve been running 195/55R15 on the front without any issues, paired with 205/50R16 rear, although I should’ve gone with 225/45R16 on the rear; I don’t know how I overlooked that pairing when I replaced the stock tires years ago. (I recalled why, the minimum rim width for 225 is 7”.)

· Registered
536 Posts
I don’t know who’s in charge of that list, but they need to add 195/55R15 to the front options. It’s only 0.42” taller than stock, and is a perfect match to 225/45/R16 rear, having the same width and height differences between the stock front and rear staggered sizes.

I’ve been running 195/55R15 on the front without any issues, paired with 205/50R16 rear, although I should’ve gone with 225/45R16 on the rear; I don’t know how I overlooked that pairing when I replaced the stock tires years ago. (I recalled why, the minimum rim width for 225 is 7”.)
I made that list for myself back in late 2021 when I as looking for "summer tires." Obviously, it does not include any all-season or winter tires. I would keep it up-to-date if I was still looking for tires. The list changes all the time due to the discontinuation of certain tires and tires sizes (S-Drives, RE71R, etc) and introduction of new ones. I thought someone who is in the market for some all-season tires could expand on it and keep it current. That's gonna be a big list

· Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2005. I believe the original tire sizes are the same as yours and I had the same problem. After much investigation I ended up purchasing Yokohama Advan Flava V701. They are summer tires like the ones they replaced. The front tires were the same size as original 185/55R15. I had to use a slightly different size on the rears 205/50R16. They are slightly narrower and slightly taller. Sitting on the car they look about the same to me. The car is used on the street exclusively. I stayed with summer tires because I wanted something really sticky. So far I have been quite happy with them but the car is basically a weekend driver, so I don't have many miles the tires. If you go with an all season tire, you will probably find a larger selection. Ralph

· Registered
2,583 Posts

Even on the PFL wheels I run 195/55/15 in the front because it opens up many more tire options, probably more important to check that on the FL wheels to try & find make/model matching tires all around.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts