MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I'm running 205/50/15 all the way around on a 7" wide wheel, I'd like more grip by upgrading to 225's on all four corners. But I've heard that they aren't as effective as a 205 on a 7" wide wheel. Right now I'm using re-11's, should I stick with 205 re-11's or go with a 225 r1r or rs3? Will the 225's still supply more grip than a 205 on a 7" wide wheel?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does a 225 just "balloon" out too much on a 7" wide wheel? Is that why it's less effective?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
It is more of a wallow or a flopping over of the side wall because the tire sidewall is not stiff enough when cornering or transitioning. Street tires are unlike a Hoosier or A6 which allow you to run a wider tire on a smaller rim. They have a much stiffer side wall.

Tire not properly supported without stiff sidewalls
/___\

versus properly supported tire with soft sidewalls
\___/

With the first one there is a noticeable delay in steering input, to tire making lateral grip. With the second setup the steering inputs versus lateral grip happens much faster.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is more of a wallow or a flopping over of the side wall because the tire sidewall is not stiff enough when cornering or transitioning. Street tires are unlike a Hoosier or A6 which allow you to run a wider tire on a smaller rim. They have a much stiffer side wall.

Tire not properly supported without stiff sidewalls
/___\

versus properly supported tire with soft sidewalls
\___/

With the first one there is a noticeable delay in steering input, to tire making lateral grip. With the second setup the steering inputs versus lateral grip happens much faster.
Awesome, great info, thank you!

·
Registered
8,433 Posts

205/50 on a 7 middle, 225/45 on a 9 right, 235/50 on a 9 Left Rear.

·
Registered
188 Posts
You think a 195 would be even better than a 205?
The 195/50-15 R1R is the magic tire for the ST autocross classes (Miatas and honduhs on 7" and 7.5" wheels).

The 195 has the good sticky compound all the way down to the cords.

The other sizes have a firmer compound under the soft tread.
After they wear a ways (don't know how far) the traction goes away.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 195/50-15 R1R is the magic tire for the ST autocross classes (Miatas and honduhs on 7" and 7.5" wheels).

The 195 has the good sticky compound all the way down to the cords.

The other sizes have a firmer compound under the soft tread.
After they wear a ways (don't know how far) the traction goes away.
That makes sense, I couldn't seem to figure out why everyone was running 195. I should get the same grip out of a 195 as I am out of a 205 now right? Or close?

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
That makes sense, I couldn't seem to figure out why everyone was running 195. I should get the same grip out of a 195 as I am out of a 205 now right? Or close?
The RE-11 is an excellent tire, and 205 is the right size for your present wheel width. The toyo R1R is a totally different tread compound, as one might expect of a tire being made by a different tire company. the 195 toyo has different compounding and construction than the other toyo sizes of R1R. Ordinarily the recommendation would still be to stick with 205 as available, given your 7 inch wheels. Pick compound first, then size. I expect, among the top ST* tires right now, finding one that fits your driving style and typical weather conditions well will make a much bigger difference than which tire is theoretically fastest.

The RE-11 is a great handling tire for my driving style, but I'm one who prefers the way bias slicks or V710's handle over the way the Hoosier A6 handles, so there really is no accounting for taste :D I'd pick the RE-11 over any of the other 205's, but haven't because it is so much more money than the Star Spec, which is also a good tire (though I had defective, impossible to balance tires in 3 of the last 4, and 5 of the last 8 that I bought).

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Just a warning on the Toyo. It does not like cold weather, so i doubt that it would make a good daily driver tire in Iowa. Stickers says not to move the tire when it gets below 15 degrees. RE-11 is a good all around tire. it does not have the wet/dry grip that the Toyo or RS3 have, but those have/need idea conditions to operate best. The RE-11 just seems to always work in most conditions.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just a warning on the Toyo. It does not like cold weather, so i doubt that it would make a good daily driver tire in Iowa. Stickers says not to move the tire when it gets below 15 degrees. RE-11 is a good all around tire. it does not have the wet/dry grip that the Toyo or RS3 have, but those have/need idea conditions to operate best. The RE-11 just seems to always work in most conditions.
Well by the time it's below freezing, I should be onto winter tires so that shouldn't be a problem, the r1r's are a stickier compound than the re-11's then?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was the other spyder you ran against in Altoona last sunday 01-spyder
I run 195 R1R's on 7.5 wide rims.....just like STS and "civicTS"
I disagree with the cold comment.....they work awesome for our early and late cold weather events as well as rain....
when the weather gets hot ,I switch to 15X8's or 9's with 225 Hankook RS3's

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was the other spyder you ran against in Altoona last sunday 01-spyder
I run 195 R1R's on 7.5 wide rims.....just like STS and "civicTS"
I disagree with the cold comment.....they work awesome for our early and late cold weather events as well as rain....
when the weather gets hot ,I switch to 15X8's or 9's with 225 Hankook RS3's
Damn you, haha you beat me by a little over half a second! Sure was cool to see mr2's take first and second out of 7 cars in our class though! How do the r1r's hold up in hot conditions?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Damn you, haha you beat me by a little over half a second! Sure was cool to see mr2's take first and second out of 7 cars in our class though! How do the r1r's hold up in hot conditions?
They do get greasey if you do too many back to back runs when the outside temp is over 80............not good for co-drives with out a lot of cooling water.....great job on your second place......glad we beat the S2000

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
You should be proud it was only half a second only, he is one of the fastest driver in the state of Minnesota if not the fastest ..

Andres

1 - 20 of 35 Posts