MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to buy a 2002 Spyder, but it needs new tires. The mechanic said it needed 195/55/15 in the front and 205/55/15 in the rear. Is it possible for me to buy the same tire for all 4 to save time and a little money? I have looked and it's hard to find matching affordable tires for these measurements.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
185/55/15 Front
205/50/15 Rear
Toyo T1-R
Yokohama S.Drives
Bridgestone RE040s
are available in these sizes.
Yes they are, but I am looking at tires for all year purposes, not just summer. However, where I live RARELY gets snow in the winter. So would summer tires be suitable for winter with no snow, or does temperature play a part too?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Yes they are, but I am looking at tires for all year purposes, not just summer. However, where I live RARELY gets snow in the winter. So would summer tires be suitable for winter with no snow, or does temperature play a part too?
I'm in south Louisiana and the Yoko S's worked fine for me all winter. If you're like here or warmer they should be good all year.

·
Registered
729 Posts
All seasons are easier to find if you keep the 195/55/15 size in the front...options in 185/55/15 are much more limited. I'm running Kumho Ectsta ASX all around, 195/55/15 in the front and 205/50/15 in the rear. No complaints since I got them about 6 weeks ago, mine is a daily driver. Bought off tire rack, paid about $340 including mounting. Hope that helps

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
I will not drive my spyder in dry weather near or below freezing with summer tires. I will not put winter tires on it as I have a truck with snows all round in winter. Next to brakes tires are the most important for me. All season tires would take to much fun out of the spyder for me so the cheapest tires I consider are S.drives. My first choice currently is RE-11 but more $$$. Fronts would be OEM 185/55-15 or 195/50-15 back 205/50-15 pre 2003.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
About 24 types from ultra high summer to track. My three favs are S.Drive, Dunlop star spec and Re-11. If it never rained maybe Hoosiers! Spirited DD I agree with T-Bone, go with RE-11.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
My Toyo T1Rs feel like hard shopping cart wheels below 40 degrees.

·
Banned
415 Posts
sorry you bought the wrong car. All season on this car is like a paper bag placed on a super models head.

I would get a second set of wheels for winter. Yes temperature is a factor with summer tires.

you will not likely match sizes but an ultra high performance all season could work for you if there is only light snow.

Continental DSWs are what I plan for my mini. Kumo est I think would work as well
I hear very good stories with those tires...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts