MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Toda if it's going to more for racing. Makes daily driving a bit annoying and 1st gear starts are not too friendly. Using an aftermarket clutch would be a good idea also. Con very hard to resurface a light weight flywheel seldom if ever done. Used them on several mk1 builds before works great. Another Con expensive. Shifting is much harder and require constant rev matching, slipping the clutch on launch just a bit also. It's annoying at first but you get used to it. Likely hood of said flywheel/clutch asking more then 20k is lower then stock.

TRD if it's going to see more street duty. Much easier to live with on a daily basis. The large majority of TRD parts available for the consumer market are for the most part focus mainly on longevity with a small but noticeable performance gain. Less fancy footwork, and a noticeable improvement in rev speed.

Cost for both roughly the same. You might want to look into other brands but TRD would be the one to get for a daily. Solid flywheels are a better option and last longer. Two part flywheels in "concept" are rebuild-able. Yet they have a higher chance of failing not a risk I like for something that spins up to 7k.

Your money spend it how you want. Just look for something that fits your needs. Remember to change out the clutch also. While your at it you could upgrade to roller bearing shifter bushings.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I had this dilemma while deciding between the TRD and Quaife LSD.

I wanted the TRD but went with the Quaife because the price of the TRD while still being less than the Quaife only went up in price because of its rarity.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I chose the competition clutch brand flywheel with the matching stage 2 clutch Monkey Wrench sells, I'm very happy with the setup. I threw in the poly motor mounts at the same time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts