MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had a small accident today. But im fine. My car on the other hand, im not sure. I was making a turn on a back road. I wasnt speeding. I downshifted to 2nd, and hit gravel and slid off the road. I hit a concrete sidewalk with my back right wheel, and destroyed the sidewalk. I then hit a mailbox. My front bumper is busted, where the quarter panel rolls under is crushed and my wheel and tire is toast. But the thing thats bothering my is that the rear end is acting funny. the car swerves side to side, and it squeels. I kno i screwed up. I dont need to be reminded, i just want to know your thoughts on the rear end. Is it possible that i knocked it out of alignment? Thanks ahead of time

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its not close to being totalled. Im going to have it fixed. Just a couple minor scuffs on the body and what im hoping is an out of alignment rear. Ill get the rear sorted out, then ill worry about the two body problems. I was just hoping some one could give me advise on what it could be on the rear end.

·
Registered
578 Posts
quickie said:
I was just hoping some one could give me advise on what it could be on the rear end.
It could be a lot of things, some fatal some not; it's nearly impossible to say without more information and/or pix. Anything anyone said at this point would be a guess.

quickie said:
I hit a concrete sidewalk with my back right wheel, and destroyed the sidewalk.
That said, a concrete curb is pretty tough, it's not an easy thing to destroy. Your car, on the other hand, is much easier to destroy. You just might have succeeded.

In the meanwhile, judging from your description, it's dangerous to drive. To you and to the car, as well as others on the road.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
i find irony in the username and lifespan of ownership..

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Oh, you noticed that too?

OP, glad no one was hurt. Take the advice here. Don't drive it, get an insurance adjustor to take a look, and see if it's totaled. I totaled (or rather another driver totaled) my Corolla in 2010. It was still running smooth, but the adjustor declared it a total loss. It's an estimation, based on value of repair vs appraised value. If it costs more than 60-80% to fix (depending on the insurance company) they'll declare it a total loss. This does not mean it's a complete wreck, or undrivable, although in your case, I would say it is.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Glad to hear no1 was hurt.

As T-bone says, its only a car.

I would not suggest driving it until its checked out properly. Post some pics of the damage.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I slammed my right rear end into a curb twice, once I fishtailed in the rain and did nothing to it, second time I spun out. The second time I bent the wheel bearing assembly, which required a knuckle replacement. You probably bent one of the three arms in the rear, but keep in mind the wheel bearing assembly can be bent too. Should be fixable without totaling out the car, good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your replies. Yahll have helped me alot. I think i hurt my pride more than anything. Ill get it fixed back up good as new before too long. The body work will give an excuse to get the bumper repainted and maybe get rid of some door dings.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Without pictures it is impossible to be certain, but I think it will buff out.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I took the wheel off yesterday. Looks like I bent a piece. I think its the control arm. Its causing the wheel to pull in on the front side. The rest in it looks good. My wheel on the other hand needs replacing. I got some pics of the damage.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Post the pictures

1 - 20 of 42 Posts