MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
saw that

The midget would still be a car I would love to have as well as the old triumph. 0-60 in 34 seconds but man you would look cool
I had a '74 Midget, and it was so much fun you didn't notice it was so slow. The gear whine alone was worth the price of admission.

And I LOVE these things too, pig or not in the performance department. Here's a clean one for you. Hard to touch for "cool".

·
Registered
354 Posts
How do auto insurance companies define sports cars?

Reading the comments in the link, I got to thinking if the insurance companies actually consider these slow "sports car" a sports car. I searched and found this

http://www.carinsurancecomparison.com/how-do-auto-insurance-companies-define-sports-cars

it lists "MR2" but no "MR2 Spyder"

I end up saving a few bucks going from a 1998 corolla to an 03 MR2 Spyder. My Insurance company (Geico) must not think of it as sports car.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
The corvette surprised me!

The stainless steel car...not so much a surprise: had a guy on LT last week complaining about being asked if his Esprit was a Delorean... personally, I love the Esprit (one of my dream cars) but can see the confusion

Esprits (not the 8cyls toward the end of the run) but the 4 bangers did 0 - 60 in something like 6 secs.
Delorean: 10.5

·
Registered
578 Posts
wife had a midget too. no reverse (or hardly ever fixes lasted as long as a week)

she would fred flinstone it out of parking spaces with little trouble.
Doesn't surprise me. Years ago, my HS Drama teacher had a bugeye/frogeye Sprite. For a joke, four of us carried it up the stairs, into the building, and set it center stage.
We thought we'd broken the rear (independent) axle.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
The corvette surprised me!
They had almost a decade of relative dogs, they lowered the compression ratio on all engines in 1971 for "unleaded", and then maybe 1975-1983, from the introduction of the catalytic converters until the introduction of the 4th generation cars where they started to make some improvements.

The C4 was a little big and clunky for me, but it was a better chassis than the previous one in many ways. IMO they didn't get it right again until the C5 in 1997.

A cousin had a '65 375 hp 327 fuelie, and it was a genuinely fast car. My brother had a '69 which had a 350 with an honest 300 hp.

From then on, not so impressive until much later.

They've always looked pretty sporty though . . .

·
Banned
415 Posts
Reading the comments in the link, I got to thinking if the insurance companies actually consider these slow "sports car" a sports car. I searched and found this

http://www.carinsurancecomparison.com/how-do-auto-insurance-companies-define-sports-cars

it lists "MR2" but no "MR2 Spyder"

I end up saving a few bucks going from a 1998 corolla to an 03 MR2 Spyder. My Insurance company (Geico) must not think of it as sports car.
No wonder my insurance is so cheap. I have geico as well.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Nice to know the MR2 spyder is faster than the 80 california vette. The Delorean is untouchable after 88 miles an hour. Shoots straight into the future!!!!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
...The Delorean is untouchable after 88 miles an hour...
If you went back in time would you do your mom? Would you get Parkinsons? Would it be worth it? That movie got me excited in those ways.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Doesn't surprise me. Years ago, my HS Drama teacher had a bugeye/frogeye Sprite. For a joke, four of us carried it up the stairs, into the building, and set it center stage.
We thought we'd broken the rear (independent) axle.
My friends in High School did something similar to mine(non-bugeye). 4 of 'em picked it up and turned it sideways in the parking spot. I got out 4 hours before regular dismissal so I had to hunt down one of the owners of the cars I was put between and get 'em to move their car so I could get out.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I find it strange (and inappropriate) that sportscars are ranked according to dragster standards.
There is more to driving than 0-60 times.
True, but if the car is slow, you spend all of your time flogging it on the straights hoping to get up to a speed that makes the corners interesting. The old MG's and Sprites seemed fast because we didn't know any better.

One advantage of a slow car it that you can drive it hard without fear of getting into too much trouble with the law or laws of physics. You don't have to worry about how the car will handle that 90 mph sweeper if it can't go 90.

But some people don't care about performance. My brother had a 1969 427 4 speed Corvette and traded it for a mid 70's 350 with automatic which he liked better as it didn't "scare" him.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a friend that owns a 1992 miata and she's convinced it's got more horsepower and faster than mine. I just nod and smile.......:cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts