MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Insurance adjuster said 8900 and counting when he totaled my car, 2400 salvage value. My wife's car that i smashed up when I hit an ice patch. She wants it fixed. 2003 with 70k miles. Adjuster will give me 9400 for car. Car runs fine and it does not appear as if the frame was bent.

In the dog house. What would you do?

·
Registered
14 Posts
View attachment 86648

Insurance adjuster said 8900 and counting when he totaled my car, 2400 salvage value. My wife's car that i smashed up when I hit an ice patch. She wants it fixed. 2003 with 70k miles. Adjuster will give me 9400 for car. Car runs fine and it does not appear as if the frame was bent.

If 2003 MR2's are selling for more than that in your area, just show him several examples. A car is totaled usually based on the value of the vehicle if it wasn't damaged.

·
Registered
209 Posts
View attachment 86648

I'd do the repair at home. Buy it back from the insurance company. And find a good body shop. You should come out $,$$$ ahead.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If 2003 MR2's are selling for more than that in your area, just show him several examples. A car is totaled usually based on the value of the vehicle if it wasn't damaged.
They are and we did. He provided some cheaper examples that we could not verify. There are examples of MR2's in the area with more miles selling for 20k. Not sure how much he will budge on his number if at all or what my recourse to dispute is but we did end them to him with no response. The car came from my wife's father and has sentimental value (should have said that earlier). Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
14 Posts
They are and we did. He provided some cheaper examples that we could not verify. There are examples of MR2's in the area with more miles selling for 20k. Not sure how much he will budge on his number if at all or what my recourse to dispute is but we did end them to him with no response. The car came from my wife's father and has sentimental value (should have said that earlier). Thanks for your response.
Ask to speak to his supervisor.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I've had a similar, likely worse impact from someone that had no business driving a 26ft uHaul truck on residential streets. I found a shop to fix the work for just under what insurance would have set to total the car. This shop was so good I've used them for any damage repair I've needed so I lucked out big time as far as cost/quality goes. I did have to leave a tiny amount of damage on 1 panel because the cost to repaint the entire door for something less than half the size of a dime would have totaled the car.

Before even considering that, get the value of the car from the insurance company. If they tell you a stupid low number show them as many cars similar to yours (FL & <100k miles).
Its only worth considering leaving some cosmetic damage if the frame is straight...any damage there & I wouldn't even bother gambling on it. In addition to keeping the car & having it completely fixed except for a tiny part cosmetically it did not recieve a salvage title so that was nothing but a win in my book...YMMV.

Best of luck with it.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
You haven't told us if repair is possible, and if so, what the estimate is. You would need to be able to get the quarter panel, and maybe the bumper cover.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

OK, I have decided to take it to a body shop where they can get a better look at the damage. I'll post their evaluation when i get it..

·
Registered
708 Posts
Pull the crunched pieces off. It takes about an hour to pull the rear quarter panel. Find instructions here. (I did not drill out the rivets or remove the soft top, but if I recall correctly, I cut a small 1cm star access at the bolt then repaired when done.) With parts off, you can then see what damage is there.
And was the suspension impacted? The other body panels of the car are in what condition? I would have a shop evaluate what it would cost to do this area repair and also a full body recondition and paint. Matching panels versus painting a small car might not be so far apart.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
It doesn't look totaled to me.

I thought this was totaled, and I was wrong. It was a close thing, but I got it back and it looks great now... so I think you'll be OK but may have to wrangle with that scheister insurance agent.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
It doesn't look totaled to me...
A car of this age is almost certainly totaled. That just means that the insurance company is willing to pay the total value of the car, and no more. That says nothing about whether it can be fixed, and whether it is worth it to you.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
A car of this age is almost certainly totaled. That just means that the insurance company is willing to pay the total value of the car, and no more. That says nothing about whether it can be fixed, and whether it is worth it to you.
I agree that basically 2 panels replaced & painted plus one headlight/twilight basically totals these cars (not to mention all the other small pieces damaged) however the pandemic surge in used car pricing should help make it worthy of a repair if accurate current market value is agreed on by insurance.

Reactions: bmarsili98

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
438 Posts
I would definitely push for more of a payout for the car- face lift, lower mileage, and good condition would cost more than 9400 to replace in my opinion at the current US used car market. Additionally you will have to pay sales tax and dealer fees if you buy another car. My insurance company costs too much in premiums but they do add the sales tax to the payout if they total your car.
I can't really tell from the picture the true extent of the damage or if the frame is bent but it looks like it could be fixed for a lot less than 8900 (engine lid, bumper cover and inserts, taillights, quarter panel, exhaust?, other stuff that is broken that I can't really see, paint, and the biggie- labor).
If it were me I'd take 9400 AND they let you keep the car for full settlement. Then I'd pull off everything broken, get needed parts, and repair myself. JMO

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
If you wish to keep the car, you buy it back from the insurance company for salvage value. In other words, they will keep the car and pay total value, or leave you the car and pay total loss.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'd buy it from the insurance company for salvage value and take difference... fix it so the wife isn't pissed. ( most important in my mind )

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
438 Posts
Based on the current market I believe you can find examples with your mileage and condition that are routinely selling for more than what the insurance adjuster is offering you. If you provide these examples to them then they should take these into consideration. It doesn't make sense that the savage value they have placed on the car is so high when the total loss amount is low in my opinion. The current market would dictate a higher actual value and cost to replace with a similar optioned, year, and mileage car. I'd be curious to see how the damage added up to 8900 before they stopped counting (maybe there is damage I can't see in the pictures). That seems excessively high from what I can see but again the labor for the repair could be a big portion of the cost.

Depending on how much of the repair you can do yourself you could save thousands on the repair. Even if you get the parts and had to pay someone else to do the repair I think you could come out ahead. A year ago we had an incident with a deer and the body shop we were using wouldn't put parts on the car that were upgrades to the OEM but they allowed us to provide what we wanted to put on the car. Once they installed these parts, they gave us the money that the insurance company paid towards these parts. We were able to make upgrades for around the same cost that it would have been for stock parts on the car.

Since your wife's car has sentimental value and you don't want to stay in the doghouse I'd fix it. Also, stay off the icy roads going forward ;)

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
A car of this age is almost certainly totaled.
Right... That's what I thought too. But, as I mentioned, I was wrong.

This damage doesn't really appear terminal to me, given what I learned from my own experience.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I'd be curious to see how the damage added up to 8900 before they stopped counting (maybe there is damage I can't see in the pictures). That seems excessively high from what I can see but again the labor for the repair could be a big portion of the cost.
Just for reference a young girl (younger than ny damn car) backed into me in a parking lot doing probably 3mph since she didn't see me stopped behind her when she pulled out. This was the damage, approx $2400 insurance bill all said & done. Zoom in far on the wheel & you'll see some small scratches in my rattle can job from the impact...they color matched & repainted the entire wheel.

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Was all of that cost necessary? Nope...but when something has any damage insurance & the shop will check it off to get fixed regardless. I have another picture of when I got hit & run by that uHaul truck...the car looks similar to yours but I was able to work with the shop to not have the vehicle totaled. As long as you have a straight frame the world is your oyster however IMO I would still fight like hell to avoid a salvage title.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
when something has any damage insurance & the shop will check it off to get fixed regardless.
Disagree. I had a very different experience, and had to fight with both the body shop AND the insurance company to get them to replace the plastic clips underneath the headlight because after I picked the car up, that light was rattling around... so I took it all apart and found that the fender liner was just sitting in the wheel well, only connected by two clips. The headlight was just sitting in there with one screw holding it in place.

I never got satisfaction out of it completely, yet the invoice showed all those things had been replaced. Fired that insurance company, now with Auto Owners. Haven't had to use them yet, I hope I never do. They're all fucking crooks.

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
438 Posts
when something has any damage insurance & the shop will check it off to get fixed regardless.
Ouch,
That is definitely true but may be depend on the body shop. The reputable shops don't want to be flogged by the customer if they don't fix everything and the insurance company is trying to minimize what it costs them. They may be including a scratched crash bar and stuff I wouldn't necessarily fix since you can't see the scratches under the bumper and you can just touch up the paint. If you take whatever settlement is agreed upon you can buy only the parts that are actually needed.
The shop that fixed the deer damage we had billed my insurance for every nit picky thing but I had them give me all the "damaged" parts so I could keep/sell the ones that really weren't structurally damaged other than scratches, etc. This same shop installed a LKQ radiator as a replacement that was almost as damaged as the one that came off the car (a lot of bent fins on the LKQ). They tried to hide it with the bumper before I saw it but they were too late and I made them put a new one on the car. So I guess experiences can vary.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts