MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wondering whether there's such thing if yes, how good are these compared to other aftermarket clutches? and i can't seem to find any related topic from the search

thanks

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
thanks. any idea how much they go for and would it be suitable for the SMT?
You might check out MonkeyWrench Racing for pricing.

Multi-Puck clutches are usually employed for high power/torque applications.
I'm not familiar with SMT issues, but the impression I get from reading about them is that they don't respond well to increases in power/torque. Unless you've done something to increase engine power/torque, a multi-puck clutch is probably not necessary.

·
Banned
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
P.E turbo going in few weeks time and wanna get the clutch done while i'm at it.

just gone through the search and found couple threads asking the same question, but no final answer.

·
Registered
217 Posts
TRD does a full flywheel, clutch and pressureplate combo. It would probably be an adequate upgrade on the SMT with the stock boost the power enterprise turbo gives.

I know of someone who has had this full set on their SMT and it worked fine, however they were running a mostly stock engine. The main difference they said was that shifting times were much better but this would have no doubt been mostly due to the lightweight flywheel. This was the TRD japan clutch/flywheel set if it makes any difference. I dont know what TRD USA offers differently if at all.

Other than that they didnt mention any shifting issues from the heavier pressure plate or sports clutch. I think they just had the sports TRD clutch rather than the "puck" style one. The puck style tend to be quite rough and shudder ( although this may have more to do with the clutch material used on these types of clutches more than it does the actual shape of the clutch )

Just dont forget that it isnt all just in the clutch, the pressure plate plays its role too. I imagine going too heavy on the pressure plate would possibly result in issues with the SMT as it might not be strong enough to disengage it. Havent heard any issues back from the TRD plate though as its only slightly more pressure than the stock one and is listed as compatible on their website last i checked.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I'd stay away from any odd shaped clutch on an smt, flutter may screw up the matching it needs to go in gear. You'll get a quicker change with a lighter flywheel and a stock clutch, (both exedy and act scared me off their clutches with the SMT over the phone when they said none of their clutches worked with the smt, exedy said their stage 0 'may' work but still would be risky). The lighter flywheel seemed to help some, the biggest difference I had was with the APS mod.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Puck clutches are not a good idea for your application. The TRD full face clutch is actually the RPS clutch. It is a fantastic unit and more than suitable for your application.

Remember that when you replace the clutch on an SMT you need to reset the ECU and put it through its learning again so it can adapt to the characteristics of the new clutch.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you are looking for an aftermarket clutch I spoke with someone from turbo-kits.com and they mentioned that the ACT HDSS clutch would work with the SMT. Just get in contact with them and they will help you. I plan on replacing mine this year (just need the funds).

·
Banned
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you are looking for an aftermarket clutch I spoke with someone from turbo-kits.com and they mentioned that the ACT HDSS clutch would work with the SMT. Just get in contact with them and they will help you. I plan on replacing mine this year (just need the funds).
its just seems a total bargin for trd clutch i've posted above! and funds running out for me as the turbo kit going in next weekend

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
its just seems a total bargin for trd clutch i've posted above! and funds running out for me as the turbo kit going in next weekend
About 200 USD for a well used clutch and pressure plate? Not hardly a 'total bargain' in my book. Especially since the seller will only ship inside the UK.

I would pay the money for a new clutch, from a reputable manufacturer. A clutch job isn't something I like doing often, or if you're paying to have it done, not something I would want to shell out money for twice on account of being cheap the first time.

·
Banned
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
got a email back from the company, and their willing to accept 150 shipped. my final question now is, would this work on my smt? time is running out as the 2 is booked in for the turbo conversion next week and rather get everything done at once.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts