MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would like to know why I'm hesitant as to removing the tab on the TPS, due to wondering about the longevity of the transmission after doing so....can someone give their thoughts...

Nick

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
I'm assuming you have an SMT equipped car and doing the quick shift mod.

I wouldn't think it would cause excess damage to the trans, as it just lets the RPMs fall faster for rev matching the next gear. Many have done it and reported no problems that I've read about.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
He's talking about cutting the tab off of the APPS of an SMT.

It won't harm your transmission any more than operating it with the tab. The clutch still works the same, it just matches revs faster.

The only downside is it removes the manual backup to the electrical throttle, which basically means if you have sudden electrical power loss it will be like completely removing your foot off of the accelerator instead of being able to hobble it to the side of the road, or out of the middle of the intersection you died in. If you can deal with that, go for it. Doing the mod means you can leave your foot down during gear changes like an automatic. The ecu will take over 100% of the accelerator operation during a shift, instead of the ~90% it has stock.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Don't cut it off if you are hesitant. Take it off go to a hardware store (Ace is the best) and get longer bolts and a stack of washers to space it out. Completely reversible.

FWIW it is the pedal postion sensor not the tps.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Don't cut it off if you are hesitant. Take it off go to a hardware store (Ace is the best) and get longer bolts and a stack of washers to space it out. Completely reversible.

FWIW it is the pedal postion sensor not the tps.
If you do that would you need to gasket it in some way to close a gap between the APPS and the throttle body to keep gunk out? It's kind of late for my son's, but I haven't done the mod yet for my brother and father-in-law.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Throttle Mod

I did the mod , dremmel the tab off nice and clean, notice a little faster shifts but not that much to me , do notice a little slower to reduce the revs on the down shift though, thats just my observation.

Nick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts