MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been racing my spyder for many years with a modified 2zz, dry sump, itb, aero, etc. the car punches well above its weight.

But now I am looking for more power. Reliability is essential, plus if I go through the effort I would want to go for lots of power, but it should remain without too much lag.

Please share your thoughts, and especially experience.

The options I am considering are:
2gr v6 na (will need to pump more air so aftermarket spares will be required)
2gr supercharged
2gr turbocharged (what about heat?)
2zz turbocharged (heat buil up? Remember it is for track racing)
2zz supercharged (will need a larger supercharger as current ones are not enough power)
Other v6 engines? Prefer Toyota engines

Drive train will be sorted

Let me know

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
My car is currently at turbokits.com. Part of their R&D process is reducing heat from a 2zz turbo. Should be done in a month.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Just curious as to what kind of hp you would expect from a 2gr supercharged versus 2gr turbo

·
Banned
415 Posts
I have been racing my spyder for many years with a modified 2zz, dry sump, itb, aero, etc. the car punches well above its weight.

But now I am looking for more power. Reliability is essential, plus if I go through the effort I would want to go for lots of power, but it should remain without too much lag.

Please share your thoughts, and especially experience.

The options I am considering are:
2gr v6 na (will need to pump more air so aftermarket spares will be required)
2gr supercharged
2gr turbocharged (what about heat?)
2zz turbocharged (heat buil up? Remember it is for track racing)
2zz supercharged (will need a larger supercharger as current ones are not enough power)
Other v6 engines? Prefer Toyota engines

Drive train will be sorted

Let me know
Discussion is meaningless. 2zz turbo, thicker tires, and start smoking corvettes.
Oh, and of course, a proper tune.

·
Registered
232 Posts
You noted "best" so here it is, Honda K20-24, light and powerful, build an oem 2.4 bottom end, typeS head, rbc intake mild cams, you're looking at 220-230whp an 170-180wtq and it's still NA and it's still lightweight

Look up half-way Mrs in japan, fast enough to contend for the NA laptime record at Tskuba, then look up blackwidow civic si, buddy of mines car curretly holds the world record for fastest 8th gen NA sedan, made into the 300s whp on drive by wire and a reflash program

I know a lot of people arent in to mixing manufactures, I'm not a fan unless your clearly replacing it with something leaps ahead of what youre pulling out but if you're looking to build a fast car and keep it drivable (or not) I personally would stick to an NA 4 and go with the best

·
Premium Member
4,496 Posts
You want reliably a LOT more power than you have now? 2GR-FE with twin parallel turbo setup. Run relatively tiny turbos with low A/R, and super high efficiency (to keep the engine bay heat down and the responsiveness up). Size them for being just off the island on the backside at peak power. Maybe something like GT2560's is on the high end of size and low end of efficiency, but would work.

Should be able to get to near 400 whp with 6 psi and a pretty mild build. You can probably run 6 psi intercooled for 200k reliable miles on that engine with an impeccable tune.

It will cost you, but it will beat the hell out of any of the other options thrown around here. I also suggest running engine management that will let you raise the rev limit, but run wastegate springs and boost control that lets you turn the pressure down at higher revs.

Or if you aren't enamored with the platform (like I am), a C6 Z06 would be a nicer starting point :D

Oh yeah, dibs on the dry sump if you ever part with it :D

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
-09iuhjg

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You noted "best" so here it is, Honda K20-24, light and powerful, build an oem 2.4 bottom end, typeS head, rbc intake mild cams, you're looking at 220-230whp an 170-180wtq and it's still NA and it's still lightweight

Look up half-way Mrs in japan, fast enough to contend for the NA laptime record at Tskuba, then look up blackwidow civic si, buddy of mines car curretly holds the world record for fastest 8th gen NA sedan, made into the 300s whp on drive by wire and a reflash program

I know a lot of people arent in to mixing manufactures, I'm not a fan unless your clearly replacing it with something leaps ahead of what youre pulling out but if you're looking to build a fast car and keep it drivable (or not) I personally would stick to an NA 4 and go with the best
I am sorry but I respectfully disagree. I am running a highly tuned k24 stroked and bored to 2.6l with itb, dry sump and everything else in my Lotus Exige. Although it is quick, I want more.

You can check out my channel = mr2zz or just watch this video which will give you an idea of the car

Also, the Honda engine is not as tough as the Toyota

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You want reliably a LOT more power than you have now? 2GR-FE with twin parallel turbo setup. Run relatively tiny turbos with low A/R, and super high efficiency (to keep the engine bay heat down and the responsiveness up). Size them for being just off the island on the backside at peak power. Maybe something like GT2560's is on the high end of size and low end of efficiency, but would work.

Should be able to get to near 400 whp with 6 psi and a pretty mild build. You can probably run 6 psi intercooled for 200k reliable miles on that engine with an impeccable tune.

It will cost you, but it will beat the hell out of any of the other options thrown around here. I also suggest running engine management that will let you raise the rev limit, but run wastegate springs and boost control that lets you turn the pressure down at higher revs.

Or if you aren't enamored with the platform (like I am), a C6 Z06 would be a nicer starting point :D

Oh yeah, dibs on the dry sump if you ever part with it :D
Rocwandrer - I always respect your views. Do you know of such a 2gr build which I can get some information from?

C6 - unfortunately we can not import l/h drive cars otherwise I would have imported one now that prices are down on these cars in the US

Dry sump - sorry, will always run dry sump so I need all the spares. This past weekend I raced the Lotus and the fitting in pressure line of oil pump broke off, but the bearings just started to rub. Dry sump is awesome if done properly.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you go with 2gr either supercharged or turbocharger, what ECU have you heard works? I have only read speculation on what aftermarket ECU's would work and have not seen anyone who actually used one, other than a race team for an off road race truck in Australia.
We use local ecu called Spitronics, alternatively if must go for high level ecu to do individual cylinder tuning will use Motec or Haltech. Spitronics deals with multiple injection phases (we run 2 sets with one on port and one outside trumpets), variable lift, cam timing, sequential injection, etc.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I find this thread confusing to be honest

regardless of power plant what kind of HP are you looking for?
How much money do you have to invest in this project?

those two bits of information will completely define what your options really are.
Probably around 400 to 500 hp atw. We are 6500 ft above sea level so in your minds at the coast probably closer to 500 hp.

Moneywise, we will do conversion, but I can afford a fair amount

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
=-[poikjhbv

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
It will be tough to get 500hp reliabiliy from a 4 cyl turbo.

I run a 2zz turbo. About 300hp is probably the max power I would run. Even then it's still not a great engine for racing applications.

The 3sgte is the only 4cyl turbo engine I would consider for high hp turbo applications. The engine has a long history in racing and has been pushed to very high hp levels.

The Jonny Milner Celica that won Goodwood is 850hp. It has a turbo, roterex supercharger, and Nitrous.

You will need a much stronger transmission. The E153 at a minimum.

The 2gr is fairly new. I don't know if anyone has actually pushed the engine far enough to see what breaks.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am sorry but I respectfully disagree. I am running a highly tuned k24 stroked and bored to 2.6l with itb, dry sump and everything else in my Lotus Exige. Although it is quick, I want more.

You can check out my channel = mr2zz or just watch this video which will give you an idea of the car

Also, the Honda engine is not as tough as the Toyota

So wait.. With all that I find it baffling you even considered a 2ZZ, fi or not :huh: the motors are turds in comparison to Kseries

With what you said I have a feeling a 2gr with FI is more along the lines of what will make you happy lol supercharged IMO

Also I'll definitely check out your channel

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re proposal for Corvette or another car - perhaps you have not yet experienced the spyder, properly sorted, on the track. The steering is awesome, the brakes phenominal, and the handling with mid engine of the best I have driven. If you look at my channel you will see that I have driven of the best, like Ultima GTR, Lotus Exige, BMW M3 CSL, etc.

The mR2 will loose part of its special handling if I add weight with larger engine, but I can shed plenty elsewhere from where I am now.

The very important point is that it is mid engined, and the chassis is relatively stiff (we succeeded in making it very stiff). The car is cheap, plus I am supported by Toyota Motorsport where I can get parts for much less than any other vehicle make.

So, another vehicle is not what I have in mind. I want to Keep the spyder.

Adding a V8 sounds interesting.... Just dreaming though. So far the 2gr sounds like it. Any proposals for a supercharger to het 500 hp atw, or shall a turbo be more appropriate?

I must say that perhaps considering the 2zz in boosted format is a no go. The engine with MMC block, and thin cylinder walls is not ideal for a high hp setup, especially for racing purposes.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.