MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it looks like the people with receiver hitches are putting racks or small trailers. I'd be interested in taking my motorcyle occasionally. anyone know or have any idea what kind of tongue weight the recovery points will take? and is there any chance of damaging the SMT by towing? its a single rail trailer, but total loaded weight is about 750 lbs.

·
Registered
26,913 Posts
That sounds like too much total weight to me, but I am just guessing. I just wouldn't want that much mass behind me in the event of heavy braking.

As for weight on the tongue - I wouldn't go higher than about 50 lbs because when there is a bump, that weight will go up and down with even more force. One of my TwosRUs bolts is slightly bent and it could be from something like that - it was bent a little when I got it. The car is not engineered to tow anything, remember. People tow tiny trailers for autocross with 4 wheels and tires and a tool box. I tow a kayak on a trailer with a total weight of around 250 lbs. That's perfectly fine.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I don't think the SMT will have any problem dealing with the added weight. Engaging the clutch from stop will be no different than trying to get my MR2 moving on an up-hill. Shifting will be no different with the added weight. Regarding brakes - I know the MR2 brakes are "over capacity" for the weight of the car, because I can out-stop just about every sedan on the road. Who knows how much extra weight you can add before you'll need as much stopping distance as a fully loaded Yukon. I'm not making any promises about the structural integrity of the towing eye lugs though. I've only seen pictures of the internal box beam, but it doesn't look very substantial. Go easy on the tongue weight, but don't go neutral or tongue-light. You definitely don't want to get a fishtailing trailer! I've experienced that and it is very scary.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
To help decide what/how much you can safely tow - here is what takes all the forward/aft loads from a "towing eye" trailer hitch. Any trailer tongue weight will try to twist the big nuts, until your threaded rods deflect enough to bear on the bumper structural box beam. I'm not sure how much load that requires - plus it depends on what diameter you made the threaded rods. I made mine from 7/8 dia rod stock and they're a tight fit through the box beam.

·
Registered
439 Posts
First, I'm not an expert so this is only my opinion. Although a nut welded to the frame looks weak, it should be strong enough. Afterall, it is where the tow hook goes to pull a 2500 lb car on to a flat bed or pull the car out of a ditch.

I think the weak point would be the strenght of the thread bar you make or where the thread bar connects to the hitch.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I've towed a my Buell several times without any problems, SMT and all!!!
I would encourage constant inspections of the welds that are used to hold the nuts in place.

·
Registered
8,382 Posts
You can re-enforce the nut by welding metal tabs to the them. I did this on my last spyder. Those nuts are only spot welded to the frame.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts