MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve tried hard enough and I’m tired of opening dead links to the same problem. Sorry if this is repetitive but I’ve been having this problem during deceleration, the grinding noise is apparent, all gears. And I think my synchros are bad too, I rev match ALL the time just to get in smoother, I just need a lil help thanks guys, and sorry I’ve been here for almost 9 months lol I just can’t find forums that are almost 20 years old with dead links

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Grinding during Deceleration?.. as in you take your foot off the Gas, and it starts to Grind?... Or is it when you are downshifting during deceleration it grinds?..

Generally grinding during any shifting is Bad Sychros..

Cap

Reactions: Davgnzls

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, when I let off my foot off the pedal, it grinds while I’m still in gear

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Generally that is a Bearing Issue in the Tranny.. It will be Fatal in a few miles.. stop driving it..

Cap

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Generally that is a Bearing Issue in the Tranny.. It will be Fatal in a few miles.. stop driving it..

Cap
Lmao that’s so blunt but thanks, I’ll just have to replace it right? Jeez haha
How expensive is it? Or more over how hard is it ?

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
History has it <500 miles from 'What is that Noise' to O.S Now what!..

My first trans went from Fine to Fubar in 175 Miles.. It had 175 K miles on it.. my second trans was used and got it for ~$100.. tossed it in myself.. Got ~ 120 K miles on that one, and I did a complete Drive line change at 300K.. I rebuilt the Engine and Trans and installed them about the same time..

If all gears are making noise on deceleration.. then it's the Diferential drive gears.. but its still a trans swap nessasary..

It'll be ~$2k for the Trans or Rebuild.. then ~$500 to toss it in..

Cap

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I’ve tried hard enough and I’m tired of opening dead links to the same problem. Sorry if this is repetitive but I’ve been having this problem during deceleration, the grinding noise is apparent, all gears. And I think my synchros are bad too, I rev match ALL the time just to get in smoother, I just need a lil help thanks guys, and sorry I’ve been here for almost 9 months lol I just can’t find forums that are almost 20 years old with dead links
Rev-matching without double-clutching does not save wear and tear on the synchros.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Every Celica/MR2 I've ever owned or been in makes that noise you're probably hearing. Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Every Celica/MR2 I've ever owned or been in makes that noise you're probably hearing. Don't worry about it.
I’ve never heard any noise while remaining in gear & decelerating. I’ve owned 2 3rd gen MR2’s & my brother had a 1st gen; nor have I ever heard a noise as described in any of the manual cars I have ever driven. I would be highly inclined to think it’s a real issue. Any time moving parts are under increased friction that energy is dispersed as excess noise & heat generated until the point of failure.

·
Registered
192 Posts
History has it <500 miles from 'What is that Noise' to O.S Now what!..

My first trans went from Fine to Fubar in 175 Miles.. It had 175 K miles on it.. my second trans was used and got it for ~$100.. tossed it in myself.. Got ~ 120 K miles on that one, and I did a complete Drive line change at 300K.. I rebuilt the Engine and Trans and installed them about the same time..

If all gears are making noise on deceleration.. then it's the Diferential drive gears.. but its still a trans swap nessasary..

It'll be ~$2k for the Trans or Rebuild.. then ~$500 to toss it in..

Cap
I aree with Cap. My previous Corolla TS transmission maked noise until it getting louder (but not much).
I drove ~3k miles until it break on street. It wasen't even on load. When it broke, it's similar to this (skip to 1.10) :

IMG_3637.JPG My broken TS transmission.

·
Registered
192 Posts
In the video, those are straight cut gears. Most of races cars use it. The "electric" sound is normal.
Streets cars use helical cut gears to avoid this and making shifting easier for lambda guy.
When I broke the TS transmission, the sound was noticeable but not as loud as video's link.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
In the video, those are straight cut gears. Most of races cars use it. The "electric" sound is normal...

Streets cars use helical cut gears to avoid this and making shifting easier for lambda guy....
Why? I can't think of any reason for straight gears except to make noise. I suppose that you would not need thrust bearings anymore, and that might be a durability issue.

It is the synchronizers that make for easier shifting, not the helical gears. Everyone uses constant mesh now, except for reverse. I know about dog engagement, but that has nothing to do with gear design.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Straight cut gears should be easier on the bearings but harder on the ears.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Straigt cut gearbox is lighter and "eat" less power than helical gearbox, but is not durable as helical.

Yes, synchro help alot for shifting gear. But if you have bad synchro issue with helical gear, you'll have to do double clutch to efficiency shifting into lower gear.
A lambda person who don't know the "double clutch + acceleration in between" will weak more his bad synchro over miles while forcing into his shifting gears.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve never heard any noise while remaining in gear & decelerating. I’ve owned 2 3rd gen MR2’s & my brother had a 1st gen; nor have I ever heard a noise as described in any of the manual cars I have ever driven. I would be highly inclined to think it’s a real issue. Any time moving parts are under increased friction that energy is dispersed as excess noise & heat generated until the point of failure.
Might be wrong ive had my 01 almost 20 years never heard that noise until now since replacing my clutch 2k miles ago. Same exact problem here and haven't figured it out. Keeps driving fine and never gets worse but sounds really bad:(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Had the same issue with my 03. At approx 100k the tranny went south. I traded it in for FR-S. Missed my MR2 so I just bought an 05, selling the FR-S on Friday.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well Dav,

I'm also with Cap and the urgent need to pull the tranny ASAP for a looky see.

There is not much more to destroy a transmission set of gears than to have the supporting bearing(s) failing and the shafts wobbling.

The longer you wait the more expensive the repair.

BTW you got a usable tranny for $100?? I'd like to know where I could get this kind of deal?

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
It was a Take out for a Swap to a Different Drive Line.. Yes it was a 'Score'...

Cap

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I aree with Cap. My previous Corolla TS transmission maked noise until it getting louder (but not much).
I drove ~3k miles until it break on street. It wasen't even on load. When it broke, it's similar to this (skip to 1.10) :

View attachment 77231 My broken TS transmission.
Funny story, also Cap was definitely right and I was absolutely agreeing with him when he stated that the transmission should be replaced ASAP! My c56 finally broke during a pull on the on ramp, sounded just like that too! Except it won’t go into gears anymore and the wheels are locked up! I’m back here to warm anyone of this same noise, don’t let it by, it’s a real issue and I’m another proof! Thanks again to everyone here! My question now is, from what cap stated, a rebuilt seems like a bad idea right? Or can I just rebuild it? I kinda want to, but at the same time considering parts, and also absolutely zero knowledge with transmission rebuilds, but I still would like to try ;(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts