MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Spyder is refusing to stay in 2nd gear. As soon as I release the clutch and start accelerating, it immediately pops out of 2nd and into neutral. Otherwise the transmission seems fine.

What are some diagnostic, maintenance, or troubleshooting steps I can do?

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
Replace the Transmission.

Now is the Perfect time to Upgrade to the 6 Speed you've always wanted..

Cap

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My other (silver) Spyder is a 2zz with a 6 speed, so upgrade is not really high priority.

I am preparing to sell this (blue) Spyder, and doing whatever low-cost maintenance I can to get it in good shape before sale. If there is anything I can try first, I would rather do that.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Good news is i have about 50 bungi cords.

EDIT: After some research, it looks like it could possibly be the "shifter seat and bushing." I'm still looking into it. I already need to take apart that area to replace the shift boot & tighten the parking brake cable, so it is worth checking out.

Shifter seat info I've found so far....

Writeup for MR2 Spyder Shifter repair / replacement

·
Registered
371 Posts
Save yourself some time and trouble, replace the transmission. If your popping out of gear under load or deceleration you have worn/damaged parts relating to the synchro assembly.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Synchro resulting in...

Save yourself some time and trouble, replace the transmission. If your popping out of gear under load or deceleration you have worn/damaged parts relating to the synchro assembly.
I popped the synchro gear and bushing loose into my transmission at 80mph, it locks down the whole thing, then burns up the clutch and pressure plate and damages the flywheel. I could have saved a bunch by replacing it before it happens under dire circumstance.

Replace the transaxle, about $2400 and the LSD is thyensame price as a standard. TRD clutch kit is about $400, and it is all too tight now thw whole thing is new (this is day two)

Total cost at Mr T, about 4000

1 - 7 of 7 Posts