MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the rotating piece that attaches to the transmission cables. The cable on the right that's the lateral movement.

This picture is close up of the left side of the rotating piece. It had jumped out, imagine it towards you in the picture, out of its seating. Making the shifter sit where 1st and 2nd would be but placing me in 5th and 6th. Is there a replacement part for for this or a solution?

This is the lateral play in the shifter/ shifter cables when in 1st. Moved all the way to the left.

Lateral movement all the way to the right still in 1st gear. Notice the movement of the right shifter cable and of course the position of the shifter.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Why does stuff look like someone welded it?Thats not from the factory. Good time to replace the bushings once you figure out why.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it is a c60 from a matrix. A different matrix than the motor. Was working with the sloppy shifting since I bought it at the beginning of April, then this happened in Wednesday when I let mellow yellow drive it and then happened 2 days ago when I was exiting the freeway. Made it home barely and then searched around and found that. Maybe I can ask the guy who installed it met him at the Malibu Spyder meet. It was purchased by the last owner and he got it installed at ETL (Fullerton,CA.)

Yeah the left cable bushing pin is a paper clip so yeah. Not a good sign.

I have the MWR short shifter, base bushings, and transmission side bushing aiming Wednesday supposedly so I'll put those in should help buy that rotating piece of metal and the other piece that the left end of it fits into and even that bottom rod in the 1st picture looks like they could use a replacement.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So I got an OEM shift linkage assembly piece (EDIT: PN- 3352017010- shaft assembly, control) seen here, new one on the left, one that was on the tranny on the right. I installed it and it all becomes clear. For some reason the piece of linkage the LEFT shifter cable moves hits the metal linkage piece the RIGHT shifter cable moves. When the piece is shortened it moves the pieces further way for. Each other allowing gears R,1,3,5 to engage.

With the OEM piece installed, those gears R,1,3,5 cannot engage but 2,4,6 can. Luckily starting in 2nd is quite easy when I took it for a test.

Since I replaced a modified piece with an OEM piece. It must mean something else is wrong here.

·
Registered
998 Posts
The previous owner re-welded the linkage in an attempt to "shorten" the throw. In the first picture, he welded in an extra pin to reduce the distance for the shifter cable to move in that axis. Looks like he welded the shifter shaft too. Was it working properly before popping out of place?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It works properly in terms of all gears are accessible, but it was very sloppy. The OEM piece cleans up everything. Perhaps the bushings were worn on the old piece.

Yes I see that there is a welded knob linkage for the right side cable I tried to use that one to see if it made a difference but it made gear selection worse since it puts the cable at an angle.

Waiting for some of the pictures to hit photobucket from my phone.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Neutral:

1st gear, right cable rotates its' linkage piece counter clockwise (up in picture) making it even closer to the left cables linkage:

3rd gear, right cable stays in place, left cable moves its' linkage "down" in the picture hitting the right side cable linkage:

Close up of the contact of the shift cable bushing surround coming into contact with one right side cable linkage:

·
Registered
17,055 Posts
I'm going with the cobbled together welding job on the shift arms.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm going with the cobbled together welding job on the shift arms.
Lol

You apparently didn't read through...

I did replace the shaft assembly control piece with OEM and that is what causes the linkages to run into each other and not engage the "top gears" R,1,3,5

After messing around some more figured out the lateral "play" in gears 1 and 5 as well as the little bit in 3. I am missing a bushing which I ordered. But mostly it is from the arm being out of its shoe as seen below. The free movement translates to the free play of the shifter up front.

·
Registered
17,055 Posts
OK, I missed the side by side photos of the welded shaft vs. the OEM. What about that other blob of weld part? Did you replace that also? Like you mentioned, held together with a paper clip is not a good sign.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Hye sorry for not getting the pic for you. I was reading something else and saw your name and remembered I never got back to you.

Not the greatest pic. I got that from my swap thread. But its pretty pbvious that they hacked up the shifting mechanism by cutting and welding it. I would replace that whole section and work from there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts