MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello fellow Spyderchat members, I have a transmission problem and hope that you guys can help me out. Thank you in advance for any advice and tips.

I have a 2001 MR2 Spyder manual transmission. Stock Motor and stock tranny. No mods to engine or transmission. The car has 133,000 Miles. Clutch and slave cylinder Fluid seems to be fine.

One day I was driving on the freeway and I was in 4th gear. I tried to taking it out of 4th gear and it would not go to neutral but rather stayed stuck in 4th gear. I finally manage to force it out of 4th gear, but the shifter was very stiff. I then put it back into 4th gear and again it became stuck. This time I could not force it out of 4th gear. I manage to drive on 4th gear and got it home.

I've read on the forum and tried some of the methods that were advised in other thread with similar problems but not exactly. I first changed the Transmission Fluid with Redline MT-90. Still stuck. I then disconnected the Shift Control Selector Cable. When I did this I was able to take it out of 4th gear and the shifter from inside the car was very lose. I was able to put it into all 5 gears but was not able to go into REVERSE. I tried moving the Shift Control Selector Lever in the engine bay with the cable disconnected, but it was dead stuck.

If I reconnect the Shift Control Selector Cable, then I am not able to put it into gear. It is very stiff.

The Shift Control Selector Lever (external lever in picture below, can be seen from engine bay) is connected to the Shift Control Selector Shaft (internal shaft inside transmission). Do you guys think my Shift Control Selector Shaft is toasted? Anyone else have this problem and was able to fix it? Is it time for a new Tranny? Any advice would be much appreciated.

I posted a picture below hoping it would help explain my problem a little better.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
I was getting lost about 1/2 way through the Diagnostic work.. I'll have to read it a few more times..

But I'm thinking you have a bad shift cable.. Take the Cables off the Trans.. and feel the Cable Movement by the Shifter not shifting the Trans..

Cap

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
I was getting lost about 1/2 way through the Diagnostic work.. I'll have to read it a few more times..

But I'm thinking you have a bad shift cable.. Take the Cables off the Trans.. and feel the Cable Movement by the Shifter not shifting the Trans..

Cap
+1 (to all of that).
Could be

1. a broken cable
  2. a jammed cable or shift cage issue
  3. transmission issue
Check #1 & 2 easily with two people.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Cap
Hi Cap, I took the cable off the Trans and felt the movement by the shifter. The movement of the cable was smooth.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
+1 (to all of that).
Could be

1. a broken cable
  2. a jammed cable or shift cage issue
  3. transmission issue
Check #1 & 2 easily with two people.
I've checked number 1 and 2 and both the cables seem to be OK. No jams on both the cable.
For number 3, I guess I got to take it to a shop to find out

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have the same problem but with 5th gear now, cannot get it into neutral. As far as my spyder experience goes - time for new tranny as this one was noisy anyways... yeah not good news...

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had this same problem and it occurred right after I swapped in a 2ZZ. It was actually popping out of gears 2 and 4 without me pushing in the clutch or when i did push the clutch in, it would pop out all on its own. I dealt with it for a short while but then one day when driving on the highway I smelt a terrible odor and when I started to pull over I could not take it out of 5th gear, I had to force it. Drove it directly to the nearest shop in Indy (i am from chicago and was in the middle of moving to cinci for my internship. perfect timing huh!?) Lucky for me they did a very nice job on the tranny swap. The syncros were totally shot. Due to my tough situation being far out of town I contacted BottleFed and he was able to hook me up with a tranny from one of his buddies for a great price

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for your help and sharing your stories. Looks like I will be getting a new Transmission after all

1 - 8 of 8 Posts