MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok.... so ever since i changed my gear oil.. i went to mobil 1 synthetic 75w-90.... and now i just changed it to Motul 75w-90 and im still having the same problem.

Problem: ONLY when the car is cold... its really hard to shift into 3rd and 5th (ONLY WHEN COLD), but once the car warms up completely, it shifts like perfectly smooth.

Any Suggestions on gear oil i should use or anything else? im getting sick of this :mad:

Should i try Pennzoil Syncromesh?

Or could it be this http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?48703-Play-in-shifter-Fixed

·
Registered
770 Posts
Try Redline MT-90.
I have had it in through 2 rough winters and no problems.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I doubt it is the oil. I have used the Mobil 1 synthetic 75w-90 in Subaru's that are almost impossible to get into gear when cold, particularly reverse. With the Mobil, they go into gear easily, even on 0 degree weather. I am using MT90 in the Spyder and it shifts fine when cold. I would check the linkage and cables.

·
Registered
23,067 Posts
Motul gear oil is terrible stuff for many other reasons. The Redline MT90 is good however cold weather performance is not so good and it is suggested by Redline to mix 1/3 MTL.

I have since switched to Amsoil GL4 and it is the best gear fluid I have used to date with much better cold weather performance.

·
Registered
802 Posts
MT90 is magic stuff. Used it in my 300k mile '86 MR2 and the grinds went away and the shifts got smoother and smoother.

Same in my '05. I had the slightest bit of grind getting into fourth. Disappeared when I changed to MT90.

I almost feel like new gear oil needs to break in a little bit. It's always a little bit harder to shift (in cold weather) when I first change tranny fluid. Takes a week or two to get back to normal.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I doubt it is the oil. I have used the Mobil 1 synthetic 75w-90 in Subaru's that are almost impossible to get into gear when cold, particularly reverse. With the Mobil, they go into gear easily, even on 0 degree weather. I am using MT90 in the Spyder and it shifts fine when cold. I would check the linkage and cables.
Thats what i am going to do before i change my gear oil again. as i posted in the first post, maybe that link i posted could be the problem.

Motul gear oil is terrible stuff for many other reasons. The Redline MT90 is good however cold weather performance is not so good and it is suggested by Redline to mix 1/3 MTL.

I have since switched to Amsoil GL4 and it is the best gear fluid I have used to date with much better cold weather performance.
I heard from my friends now that amsoil and redline are better cold performance gear oils -_-

MT90 is magic stuff. Used it in my 300k mile '86 MR2 and the grinds went away and the shifts got smoother and smoother.

Same in my '05. I had the slightest bit of grind getting into fourth. Disappeared when I changed to MT90.

I almost feel like new gear oil needs to break in a little bit. It's always a little bit harder to shift (in cold weather) when I first change tranny fluid. Takes a week or two to get back to normal.
Ill let the motul "break in" for a few more weeks while i try to look at the shift linkages and other stuff before i decide to change my gear oil for the 3rd time... maybe it will be a charm

·
Registered
23,067 Posts
Thats what i am going to do before i change my gear oil again. as i posted in the first post, maybe that link i posted could be the problem.

I heard from my friends now that amsoil and redline are better cold performance gear oils -_-

Ill let the motul "break in" for a few more weeks while i try to look at the shift linkages and other stuff before i decide to change my gear oil for the 3rd time... maybe it will be a charm
Don't worry you will know it's breaking your transmission the louder it gets. There has been one other person on this board that noticed the same effect with Motul GL5. It nearly ruined my synchros and fortunately I was able to save what was left with Redline MT90.

Redline MT90 is not great cold weather, Amsoil is.

·
Registered
23,067 Posts
hmmm so which one should i choose? amsoil or redline?
I will give you a clue.
I was a Redline MT90 user for over 10 years and now switched to Amsoil. Ask LordTakuban about his switch to Amsoil. MT90 is good stuff however if you want cold weather performance then you should mix in a ratio of 1/3 MTL/MT-90 . MTL is Redlines lighter weight transmission oil and it's great for cold weather performance.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will give you a clue.
I was a Redline MT90 user for over 10 years and now switched to Amsoil. Ask LordTakuban about his switch to Amsoil. MT90 is good stuff however if you want cold weather performance then you should mix in a ratio of 1/3 MTL/MT-90 . MTL is Redlines lighter weight transmission oil and it's great for cold weather performance.
ill take that into consideration. i just did more research... could it possibly be the shift cable bushings going bad also? im thinking of getting the aluminum shifter cable bushings from twosrus, and the shifter base bushings also just for the hell of it. maybe those will help also? and still considering it shifts smooth when its warmed up. it should be the gear oil too correct?

EDIT: keep in mind, i havent checked any of the bushings of the transmission. the only things i have done are the gear oil changes thats all. when i got the car first, it shifted fine when it was cold till i put Mobil 1 and now Motul in it :(

·
Registered
23,067 Posts
ill take that into consideration. i just did more research... could it possibly be the shift cable bushings going bad also? im thinking of getting the aluminum shifter cable bushings from twosrus, and the shifter base bushings also just for the hell of it. maybe those will help also? and still considering it shifts smooth when its warmed up. it should be the gear oil too correct?

EDIT: keep in mind, i havent checked any of the bushings of the transmission. the only things i have done are the gear oil changes thats all. when i got the car first, it shifted fine when it was cold till i put Mobil 1 and now Motul in it :(
I am sure it is transmission oil related not shiftier bushings. As gear oil gets warmer it will loosen up and shift better, no gear oil is going to be great on initial driving and you should go easy on the transmission and engine until you reach operating temps as rule of thumb.

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
I was a redline user as well and switched to amsoil GL4, best gear oil I have ever used. Mobil1 GL5 seems to trash these gearboxes.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I was a redline user as well and switched to amsoil GL4, best gear oil I have ever used. Mobil1 GL5 seems to trash these gearboxes.
I tried a Castrol GL5 variant. Don't remember the name. Tranny started to make noises immediately. Changed to MT90. Most of the noises went away, but has gradually come back over the last two years. I guess that sucker is toast. :angry:

Stay safe. Follow the recommendations on here.

·
Registered
802 Posts
My understanding is that GL5 oils have more sulfur additives, which can corrode yellow metals such as the bronze/brass/copper used in synchronizers. It's not supposed to be an issue since the sulfur is buffered and there are corrosion inhibitors/etc, but I guess it can't be stopped 100%. I think GL4 has this stuff too, but less of it.

·
Registered
23,067 Posts
My understanding is that GL5 oils have more sulfur additives, which can corrode yellow metals such as the bronze/brass/copper used in synchronizers. It's not supposed to be an issue since the sulfur is buffered and there are corrosion inhibitors/etc, but I guess it can't be stopped 100%. I think GL4 has this stuff too, but less of it.
The sulfur additives in the presence of heat become corrosive to the yellow metals. When GL5 first came out they stated it wasn't a problem and it was safe to use in any GL4 application which was not true. Then they admitted there was a problem and changed the formulation to be compatible but as we can see they are wrong again and now trying to cover it up. There was a study some time ago on yellow metal corrosion with most of the popular brands of transmission fluid and Redline MT-90 was on top. Royal Purple and some of the other brands ate away the metal.

The only problem they found with MT-90 is an accumulation of deposits which should not effect our transmission too much.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts