MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So today my spyder started making a high pitched whirring sound while I was driving, it only happens when I am in gear. It also pops out of second gear if I accelerate quickly. I was able to baby it home. But I was wondering what some possible causes might and how difficult a fix they would be.

Thanks,

Appel

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Likely it's new Tranny Time..

Mine went from Fine to Fubar in 3 Days of Driving..

PU a Used Junker for $500 .. OR NEW for a little less than 2k$.. a Rebuild will be 1500$.. not worth it in my book.. unless you want to do the Re-Build yourself..

Cap

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
manual or smt?
Sorry it's a manual tranny. At first I thought it might be the clutch, but the pedal feels fine and it doesn't have problems shifting gears, it just makes noise. I'll double check to see if it does it neutral when I am stopped.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Likely it's new Tranny Time..

Mine went from Fine to Fubar in 3 Days of Driving..

PU a Used Junker for $500 .. OR NEW for a little less than 2k$.. a Rebuild will be 1500$.. not worth it in my book.. unless you want to do the Re-Build yourself..

Cap
Well looks like my car might be out of commission for a bit if that's the case...

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Well looks like my car might be out of commission for a bit if that's the case...
I drove a VW bus with a failing transmission...for years. I put a bungee cord on the shifter to keep from popping out of fourth. Hey, if the transmission is going in the scrap pile anyway what's the harm? You can use the going-in-the-trash-anyway transmission to practice your heel and toe shifting, and doubleclutch downshifts.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
haha you think like me. The hubby told me I couldn't have lowering springs on my dd until my oem shocks go out. :angry:
I recommend pot holes and hitting speed bumps at a high rate of speed...

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
My luck I would break something other than the shocks. They have 159,000 miles on them. How much longer can they last? F-ing Honda
Ooooh, maybe you can get new wheels and tires at the same time:)

If these struts are anything like what was on my wife's old Honda Del Sol, I am going to say at least 254,000 miles... that is what the car had when it was totalled--otherwise it would probably still be running...

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I noticed today that it now makes the noise when the car is in neutral and the clutch is engaged, the pitch also changes when I accelerate.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
With clutch depressed, nothing inside the transmission is moving at all. With trans in neutral and the clutch released, the input shaft and the layshaft are all spinning- only the output shaft is stationary. It could be a failed bearing or busted tooth on one of the layshaft gears that is creating the noise. Popping out of gear kinda makes me think a layshaft bearing may have failed, letting the gears lose alignment.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I am going to try and take it to a transmission shop down the road from my house. I was looking at the mwr 6 speed.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
If you're going for a 6 speed, I highly recommend the Euro-spec C60. Any chance a fluid replacement might help, even temporarily?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you're going for a 6 speed, I highly recommend the Euro-spec C60. Any chance a fluid replacement might help, even temporarily?
I am going to drop it off at a shop tomorrow, they are going to charge me 250 to take the transmission off and open it to see what's wrong. I'll update from there

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
I am going to drop it off at a shop tomorrow, they are going to charge me 250 to take the transmission off and open it to see what's wrong. I'll update from there
I would take that 250 and apply it to a used good transmission. A rebuild will be very expensive.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts