MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after 148,000.00 miles, my transmission is starting to act up. Sounds like the input and output shaft bearings are making that call for help!! :mad:

This will be my first time dealing with the transmission on the spyder, and after reviewing what all the reference material we have on the site, it looks like it should not be too hard. :unsure:

wish me luck...

I will update with pics and try to document how much I mess up....

·
Registered
8,477 Posts
The internal replacement parts alone probably will cost more than a used transmission.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
True. That's why I replaced...didn't bother even attempting a rebuild/repair. Someone with skills and access to cheap parts has an advantage here.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
I used to love rebuilding transmissions. Time, tools and the price of parts are a big consideration. IMHO 148k is pretty good service. For the price of an LSD 5sp I would just have to go new.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Hey, I'm just curious. A bearing is just a bearing. They usually have a number stamped on them, we replace lots of them in gearboxes at work. Doesn't Timken or someone make a replacement bearing? What kind of bearing is it? Radial ball bearing, roller bearing, tapered roller, sperical roller or what? Is it something special?

Inquiring minds want to know. Some day I may have to deal with this too.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
You might find a Timken cross reference. Just reading here the input shaft bearing comes up often. I don't know who makes Toyota bearings. Some bearings come in different grades, I suspect not these.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Before you waste too much time pricing the bearing you might want to price the important part like the labor to have it put in. That is where it will get expensive in a hurry.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Hey, I'm just curious. A bearing is just a bearing. They usually have a number stamped on them, we replace lots of them in gearboxes at work. Doesn't Timken or someone make a replacement bearing? What kind of bearing is it? Radial ball bearing, roller bearing, tapered roller, sperical roller or what? Is it something special?

Inquiring minds want to know. Some day I may have to deal with this too.
The input shaft bearing is a caged needle bearing.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm having the exact same problem. But I splurged and bought a 6 speed with LSD from Monkey Wrench. I don't have time so I was going to drop the car off with the parts (clutch kit, flywheel bolts, fluid, etc) at a transmission shop near work, walk over and pick it up after work and drive home. He says he'll need it most of the week, though. So now I'm reconsidering doing this myself, but I only have Saturday to remove the old one, replace the clutch, flywheel, transmission, etc. Can I do it in a day? I am experienced with all kinds of car repairs, but I haven't done this in a mid engined car before. Seems like a lot of work for one day. Normally, I would remove one day and replace the next.

Comments?

Sorry if this is hijacking. Seemed like the same topic to me.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I'm having the exact same problem. But I splurged and bought a 6 speed with LSD from Monkey Wrench. I don't have time so I was going to drop the car off with the parts (clutch kit, flywheel bolts, fluid, etc) at a transmission shop near work, walk over and pick it up after work and drive home. He says he'll need it most of the week, though. So now I'm reconsidering doing this myself, but I only have Saturday to remove the old one, replace the clutch, flywheel, transmission, etc. Can I do it in a day? I am experienced with all kinds of car repairs, but I haven't done this in a mid engined car before. Seems like a lot of work for one day. Normally, I would remove one day and replace the next.

Comments?

Sorry if this is hijacking. Seemed like the same topic to me.
The mechanic that did mine switched out the tranny in a day (actually I think it was like 6-8 hours) so it is possible. Don't really think a clutch / flywheel should add much time but I have no idea. He also primarily did Honda stuff.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks. I looked at the procedure a while ago and it just looks kind of cramped. I've decided to do the swap myself. I prefer to keep control of these things because I know if I encounter a problem that I will solve it, not ignore it. Plus I'll be saving $550!

By the bye, to contribute to the actual topic of the thread, my transmission started making this noise at 120,000 miles. I guess some would say that's good, but I swapped my wife's E153 transmission in her Solara at twice that! It wasn't making noise, but had a bit of slop in it. It now has 259,000 miles and climbing!

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Without a lift and working on your back it's not fun work, but a two day job considering you've not done this particular job before.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts