MR2 SpyderChat banner

61 - 80 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I haven't updated in a while so here goes:

4" Hyperco helpers with Genesis couplers were installed up front which seem to have solved my unseating problem for the most part although I am still getting a 'twang' sound occasionally on the driver's side front when unloading the tire and then accelerating. Not too concerned about it at the moment.

With camber plates AND two crash bolts in the front I am only getting -3.06* camber on the drivers side but close to -4* on the passenger side. I will likely be slotting the caber plate holes the find a little more camber.

I fiddled with compression and rebound settings a few weeks ago at the first SCCA event and seemed to find the right settings where I am no longer getting tire skipping from compression being too high. Weird thing is that my rebound is nearly full soft in the front and only a little stiffer in the rear. If I increase it at all I get tire hopping or skipping or maybe even jacking down in corners (although I am not too sure which). Nick Barbato said he would do a test and tune with me at some point so I might take advantage of that and see what he thinks.

So last SCCA event I finally got to learn the car and widdled away at my times every run until my final run where the car felt great and I was able to come 1.2 seconds off of first place which was a national trophy winning s2000 driven by a local driver who is very fast. 2nd place was also an s2000 and a quick driver, not fully prepped though. The car felt great and I can't wait to get some more torque, some less weight, a diff, and new tires (maybe wheels too depending on how sldnrck likes his new setup :D)
I won't know anything for another two weeks. Local event 17th, then Lincoln, then Mineral Wells. I do drool over the setup walking into the house from the garage each night. I have not had any sightings yet of someone special. I've been trying to make some room in the garage, cause I have way too many different spare parts and setups. I know you can help with that. :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
So it's been a while since I've posted, but I've been very busy with my new job and trying to adjust to all the changes the car is undergoing on almost a weekly basis. I will make a more in depth post which address some issues I am having and what not but for now I just wanted to post some dyno results.

Unfortunately I was unable to get my Greddy eManage Ultimate up and running by the time my dyno appointment came around (stupid drivers and XP virtual machines) but that is for another day. So I was at least able to tune the Camcon Ti with the full PPE intake and exhaust installed.

The dyno is a heart breaker Mustang dyno, but the important thing is just the difference from baseline to tuned.

Hi-Res:

I looked into a lot of posts regarding settings that people had found successful and was surprised when we found that no one's settings were similar to our optimum settings.

The final tune consisted of these cam angle adjustments:

2k: +3
2.5k: +5
3k: +10
3.5k: +13
4k: +13
4.5k: +13
5k: +13
5.5k: +13
6k: +13
6.5k: +13
7k: +13
7.5k: +13
8k: +13
8.5k: +13
9k: +13

I'm hoping to get the emanage recognized by a computer soon so that we can finish the tune off with fuel/ign timing adjustments.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Has anyone else used a dyno to tune their Camcon? I'm very curious to see what other people found to be optimum settings since my results seem very different from what I read on a celica forum.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
woops, just realized you were 3rd fastest day 2 hah...just faster than the class winner.
Yeah I wasn't really sure what you meant by that but I think I need some help tuning the suspension. Or maybe I need to redo the front housings bc of the ratio if bump/droop travel. It would be interesting for you or sldnrck to drive it :D

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
how did the car feel? video would be helpful.
So I took video yesterday but not today. It was a mistake but it might help to see yesterday's videos anyway. Yesterday I didn't drive the car as well as I did today and was late mostly everywhere.

The car felt really good though but a little loose on sweeper entries which could very well be driver error.

I'll post videos up tonight or tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
looking at some other videos, it looks like i missed out on an awesome weekend. i wish i could have been there to kick ass :biggrin-new: (maybe). i used to drive courses like this all the time in NC.
It was so much fun I was really hoping you'd make it out (I told Joe to give you shit about not coming when he did ;) ). It was totally a Spyder course and both days we were on the limited everywhere. Tried third gear on my last run of the day but screwed up an important long sweeper so results were inconclusive.

Hopefully at some point we'll run into each other at an event. I'm very interested in your car seeing how we took almost the exact opposite approaches in suspension styles. Btw someone had mentioned if you had made it up here that it would've been game over lol.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
So after watching video from Saturday I have come to the conclusion that not much information about the setup can be taken from it since I was driving poorly (late in most places, some bad lines). However I learned a lot about the car and tires this weekend and I'm going to figure out a better mount for the GoPro soon.

The Devens Champ Tour was a blast. It it only the second time I have ever competed in a national event (1st time in the Spyder). I learned a lot about studying the course during a course walk since we only had three runs each day as opposed to the 6 we have on normal local SCCA events and the 10-12 we have with other local clubs at Devens.

Day one I wasn't pushing the tires hard enough and I was late everywhere. I was clean all three runs but I left about a second out there. This was only good enough for 7th place for the day and I was one second off of first place.

Day two the car felt awesome. I made sure not to be late practically anywhere and pushed the tires a little harder which felt really good. On my last run I was having an amazing run where I had not pushed the brakes nearly as much than my second (and fastest) run. However coming into the huge sweeper off of the main runway I braked much too hard and sacrificed at least half of a second but probably more and ended up being 0.3 seconds slower than my second run. This was good enough for 3rd place for the day.

Overall I managed to come in 4th place for the Champ Tour and I'm pretty happy with that. When I look back at it, it came down to driver error and that to me is much better than having the car holding me back. Had I not messed up the sweeper on the last run of the second day I might have been able to snag first place overall. Had I driven the first day like I did the second day I might have been able to take first place overall. And finally had I done both of those things then first place overall seems like it could have been a guarantee.

Next steps include figuring out some form of data collection in order to further analyze my suspension since my butt isn't the greatest sensor.

61 - 80 of 109 Posts