MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
This probably wouldn't be usable with a tonneau cover would it??

I could be down with having this on my car if it was possible to still use my tonneau cover.

·
Registered
362 Posts
dont this interfere with a hardtop?
isnt this like the auto-something bar that uses the same side bolts as the ht?

·
Registered
977 Posts
it could work with your tonneau cover, but it would look a bit silly.

kfx it wont interfere with the hartop in anyway, you will have to make holes in the plastics to the side of the wind deflector and then there will be factory mounting points for this.

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,861 Posts
Hmmm, so the TRD can be used with the hardtop? I did not know that. Is it approved by any of the sanctioning bodies for time trials or track days? If it is then I may want this.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Nice find, wish it wasn't so high or I might go for it.

I am pretty sure this would not be approved for any track use. It is aesthetic only (would crumble pretty fast under impact).

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Thats a style bar, TRD never marketed it as a roll bar.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Hmmm, so the TRD can be used with the hardtop? I did not know that. Is it approved by any of the sanctioning bodies for time trials or track days? If it is then I may want this.
It is not a functional roll bar and it will not be approved by any sanctioning body that requires a roll bar. The only rolll bar being produced that meets your needs is the harddog roll bar. Your only other option is to go custom.

Thats a style bar, TRD never marketed it as a roll bar.
Did Toyota market this item at all? Based on the small pictures the quality of the bends and mounting locations look... questionable. i would be shocked if this were a genuine TRD product at all. I don't recall there being a TRD 'safety bar' as it is called in the linked ad, or style bar, or roll bar.

·
Registered
353 Posts
It is not a functional roll bar and it will not be approved by any sanctioning body that requires a roll bar. The only rolll bar being produced that meets your needs is the harddog roll bar. Your only other option is to go custom.

Did Toyota market this item at all? Based on the small pictures the quality of the bends and mounting locations look... questionable. i would be shocked if this were a genuine TRD product at all. I don't recall there being a TRD 'safety bar' as it is called in the linked ad, or style bar, or roll bar.
http://www.trdparts.jp/english/parts_roll-bar.html

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
it could work with your tonneau cover, but it would look a bit silly.

kfx it wont interfere with the hartop in anyway, you will have to make holes in the plastics to the side of the wind deflector and then there will be factory mounting points for this.
I can confirm all of these statements. I have a custom non-functional style bar that uses the same mounting points:

You will need to cut into the plastic trim pieces with the seatbelt opening.
The carbon fiber tonneau cover that I recently sold to GuySmily (pictured below) did fit around the bar. Unfortunately, I've deleted the pictures showing the fitment from my Picasa account. He may have saved them.

Again, this is a non-functional 'style' bar, not a track certified rollbar. You may be able to pass lax tech inspections, but I wouldn't rely on it in the event of a rollover.

Rich

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
This bar was a TRD Japan option part. def legit ...I don't recall it being an actual roll bar even if the name implies it. This was meant as a decorative piece (bling bling)

A sporty, stylish roll bar
■A stylish, bolt-on roll bar (some cutting required)
■The bar achieves the strength of an elliptical steel pipe while sporting the stylish appearance produced by a chrome plated finish
■Comes with a TRD emblem plate exuding that sports feel
■The top can be opened and closed, even with the roll bar installed.

Roll Bar for MR-S(ZZW30)
This list is based on Japanese model and shown in Japanese domestic price.
Vehicle Model Code Part No. Code List Price(JPY) Remarks
MR-S ZZW30 66510-ZW300 H Discontinued Two-point support chrome plated elliptical steel pipe
Bar: Some interior cutting required to attach with a TRD emblem.
※This product doesn't applied to speed A vehicle regulation of JAF inland competition vehicle regulation. (Can't use in JAF official speed competition[Gymkahna etc.]) Please ask a host organization for pro and con when you take part in circuite driving activities.

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,861 Posts
Well, I do not need a bling bar. And I do not want to chop up my interior and body to install a HardDog so I guess it is custom or no track time for me.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Well, I do not need a bling bar. And I do not want to chop up my interior and body to install a HardDog so I guess it is custom or no track time for me.
I am far from an expert on modifications required to track the car, but I think any functional roll bar (custom or off-the-shelf) will require you to chop up the interior and/or body to bolt it to the body. You're going to lose leg room, storage space, or both.

Are you having trouble passing technical inspection with your hard top on its own?

Rich

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
just a style bar mounts the same as my netz style bar and yes both work with hardtop

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
I tried to do a NASA track day, they said I still needed a hard dog roll bar, even with the hardtop.
Do you seriously wanna trust your neck to something that's NOT made out of metal when your 2k lb car is flipping at 80mph? :lol:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts