MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search but I'm having a difficult time figuring this out. I'm probably going to be doing some headlight work soon and I was wondering since I have to remove the trim cover around the frunk bin if it is necessary to put it back? Does it serve a purpose besides making the frunk bay look more cosmetically appealing? It would save me some labor to leave it out as well as being able to easily see and check status of some important items like the radiator, power steering resevoir, etc. It looks like you can remove the trim around it and still keep the frunk bin with the spare covered up.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It is not necessary. It is just for looks. I know a lot of people on this forum who have removed it for one reason or another (usually to install a strut bar).

But honestly, if you are ever going to sell the car, it would be good to keep it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not planning to throw it away. It's just that I have to take it off anyway, and there is actually a lot of stuff hidden under there. It would give me peace of mind to be able to check it on a road trip just by opening the frunk instead of having to pull the whole mess apart.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
leave it on it directs the hot air from the radiator downward without it your hood will get real hot :lol:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not worried about the hood getting hot, but now that I think about it, I guess more hot air could escape upwards into the vent for cabin air and come into the interior. That would be bad, considering it has been in triple digits almost daily around here. Anybody that has done this notice more hot air coming into the cabin?

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
mine has been off for over 3 yrs. and we've had triple digit temps for 3 mnths. no worries.

i leave it off for just the reasons you state

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It looks like you can keep the cover on the tire tub / trunk compartment while removing the plastic around it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts