MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some may know I went out and got me a 2zz. I thought, as others have done before me that I would try and document some of my engine swap. I'll include Toyota part no.s of the items I replaced in my build (including cost) Part of my reason for doing this is that I keep finding things I missed from other peoples threads on the swap.

I will post pics periodically as I can and try to include pics and references in the BGB and links to others threads when applicable. Not every thread here is complete and mine wont be either but just another one to help. I will edit this sometime tomorrow with part nos. to gaskets and a few pics and links.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Go Triz go! Go Triz go! Go Triz go!

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. @Wired that engine was super clean, In and out. I had a question regarding the reverse lockout and shaft install. But I'll try and do a search again tomorrow see if I can find what I need. Some pics up tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
This a must if your doing the swap. Get this done if your running the older lift bolts.

http://www.billswebspace.com/2ZZLiftBoltReplacement.htm

You can see the difference between the old style and new ones. You can also see where the wear was taking its place. With my nail I could feel the groove. After some time I'm pretty sure these would be broke.

This is also a good idead while the engine is out. I did this as well using the guide. Mine were super clean. So far really impressed with the internals.

OCV strainer cleaning guide.

http://newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=250432

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
That's great, Triz! I tried to document as best as I could when I did my swap, but you always end up missing something. The one thing I learned is that no two engine swaps are the same, so the more write-ups the better. Good luck man!

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Pic of the my engine on the stand.

I could install the pipers now but decided to remove the head and check clearances and valve seals. Part no.s to follow.

Intake manifold and throttle body

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
This is the pic that I wanted Rojas to see. is this the one that must be capped?

[/IMG]

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yeah that one is capped. There's a pipe that also connects right above the thermostat, if that had a nipple that will be capped as well. It may or may not have it depending on the year of the engine. Great color combo haha!

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
The picture shows you putting a cap on the crankcase breather, do not cap that hose it goes up and connects to the back of the cylinder head. The hose you may have to cap is on the crossover pipe which bolts to the thermostat housing. Depending on year and model the crossover tube may have another nipple for an oil cooler or a coolant overflow bottle. There are two oil cooler nipples and you can see the other one which is already capped off just above the starter. Post a picture of your crossover tube that should of come with the 2zz motor. The breather tube to the head should of also come with the motor.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Part Part No.

Injector Insulators 23291-41010
Gasket, Cylinder (Valve Cover) 11213-88600
Gasket, Cam Timing 15338-22010
Gasket, Exhaust 17173-88600
Gasket, Intake 17177-22010
Gasket, Throttle Body 22271-88600
Gasket, Water Inlet 16325-62010
Bolt, Flange (Header Bolts) 90105-06293
Bolt, w/ washer 90119-10656
Bolt (Flywheel you will need 8) 90910-02103
Nut (Header) 90179-10088
O-ring (oil Dipstick) 96721-19010
O-RING (tensioner) 9030122013 $2.76
Thermostat 90916-A3003
Tensioner Assembly 13540-88600
Swap Belt if you are using the stock 1zz AC Compressor
Gates K060672 13/16x67-3/4" 20mmx1722mm
You will only need the pigtails and plugs if you did not use the P&P harness. I included them anyway just for reference.
90980-11162,
90980-11363
82998-12440. You need 3 pigtails.
82998-12740 ECU Pigtails. (3)

DDPR LR Swap Header
DDPR Swap Mount
DDPR Swap Harness
DDPR Valve cover and Timing Chain Dress Up Bolts

ACT HD Clutch and SS Pressure Plate
Competition Clutch Lightweight Flywheel

Oil Pump/ Oil Pump Gear
What I used: 175 dollars Toga HV Oil Pump in its own housing.
http://www.importperformanceparts.net/imports/toga_oilpumpstoyota.html
Updated: I have a TODA Oil Pump Gear now in a stock housing.
http://www.ddperformanceresearch.co...oduct/view/id/57/s/2zz-ge-toda-oil-pump-gear/

Alternative:

http://www.sector111.com/products/performance/engine_upgrades/oilpumpgear.cfm

More on the list

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its look even nicer with the SS header I got from D&D performance Research.

·
Registered
9,839 Posts
Hell yea Angel, do it up.

I'm so tempted to go this route with cams but its so much work. Back to fixing/maintaining my setup then :lol:

If you come up this summer I hope you drive up with that. ;)

1 - 20 of 256 Posts