MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Spyder for a steal. I originally thought i just needed to get used to the shifting but after driving it for a while i am sure there is something wrong.

Shifting into gear is much harder then it should be and sometimes it grinds a bit. This is especially apparent trying to shift into third

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
5 speed I presume? Is the clutch disengaging completely? Does the clutch pedal catch at the floor, or higher up? Have you checked transmisison fluid level? Is it easier to slip into gear if you match rpms precisely?
5 speed
the clutch is completely disengaging
clutch catches ~mid way
the fluid level is fine
matching revs makes a bit of a difference for all the gears except the third

Thanks

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
The 5 sp experts will have to chime in to address if shift linkage could cause the problems you're seeing. Grinding sure sounds like worn synchros, but that should go away if you match rpms. Hard to get into first (only) would be a spinning clutch - not disengaging fully. Hard to get into ALL gears is puzzling to me. By the way - welcome!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Chnge ur fluid to amsoil 75w-90 gl-4 type. Its great for cold starts and runs even smoother when warmed up

·
Registered
614 Posts
Syncro's could be going bad. You never know if the previous owner knew how to drive stick this is just an idea.

Is there slack in the shifter cables?? Try bleeding the clutch, the fluid level could look fine but there could be air in the system. If you want to bleed the clutch get a mity vac don't try to do this the old fashion way. Trust me your left leg will thank me. Anything else would require you to take off the trans to find out for sure.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Start looking for another tranny. Like the previous posters said, change the fluid. It can't hurt (unless you use GL5).

I just put in another tranny in mine. 3rd was tough in mine, except when gently driving. If downshifting, I would always have to go to 4th, only then, 3rd would go in without grinding.
Mine was also generally making noise, not too loud. I thought it sounded like a bad bearing. I did not hear when when I bought the car, but heard it immediately after I got it home. I got another 13K miles out of it. I now put Redline MT 90, and I love how it sounds and shifts.
It is very costly to rebuild, so a used one is generally advised.

One day all hell broke loose in the tranny, and I had to put in the one I bought online from Craigslist. I've seen em for $400 - $700, NOT very often.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I use Redline MT-90 and it works really good on the more delicate C60 6speed transmission.

Question;
What did you drive before the mr2?
How good are you at shifting?

Reason I ask is cause Honda/Acura transmissions shift like butter compared to our transmission. I found the Toyota transmissions to be very stiff and notchy compared to others IMO...

If your in So Cal I can sell you my old 5 speed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts