MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 SMT Spyder has developed an intermittent problem where it will go into reverse, but if there is no Beep noise it will shut down the engine and throw a code P16 46.

Today, I did the following test.
Opened the drivers door and made sure it was then closed properly.
Waited for the pump to reach pressure, which it did in about 30 secs.
Moved the gear to reverse, at which time the neutral light went out and the reverse light came on. I DID hear and feel the reverse gear go into reverse, BUT THERE WAS NO REVERSE BEEP NOISE.
I know from past tests that if I left it that way for a few seconds, or touched the accelerator, the engine would quit and throw a code P16 46. I tried it 3 times with the same results of neutral, reverse etc.
At this time, while back in neutral, I released the hand brake and felt the car relax just a hair.
I then tried to change in reverse, and it went into reverse and the reverse beep sounded immediately! Everything worked perfectly.

The first time that my problem started was under similar circumstances, where I had not used the car for a while, and the brakes seemed to hold on even when released. A touch on the accelerator did eventually brake the disks free, but resulted in the engine shutting down and leaving me with check engine light and code P16 46, and the intermittent problem that I now have.
I do get rid of the code with the code reader.

BTW, I have already cleaned all sprayed any know problem area with connections present, with Corrosion Block.

Any thought or suggestions as to what to do next would be greatly appreciated.

Harryco.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Ugh, reread the post and had to edit. Sounds like you hand brake cable is getting stuck and not letting the brakes off. Not really an SMT problem. I would do a search and look for stuck brake problems on the board, I know there's been a few.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, plebian.
I appreciate the feedback, but feel that I had better make my point more plain, as I didn't mention this. My fault, sorry.

The car is parked on a slight grade , and will run backwards if the hand brake is not pulled on hard.
When left for a few days, the disks lock on slightly until I move the car, sometimes as easy as sitting in the car and pushing on the ground with my left leg.
Once the brakes have sprung free, it will coast down the slight grade without any dragging of the brakes.

I will try to remember to free up the disks prior to trying to putting the car in reverse, but still feel that at sometime, the reverse beep will not sound, and I am at a loss as to where the connection or relay for that beeper is located.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Harryco.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
If it's not the brake being pulled (or at least the car thinking that the brake is pulled) then the problem is probably in the reverse position sensor. If the reverse lights (the ones on the back of the car) are coming on when you put it in reverse and it does this, swap the wires on the reverse sensors (3 sensors on top of the transmission towards the back of the car, the reverse are the 2 on the right)and it should transfer the problem to just the lights and it should be driveable. If that works, you can take your time and order a new reverse sensor for the center position.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds like a great idea plebian, and I will check that out tomorrow. Busy in the morning, will try to check it in the afternoon if it is not raining!.
It sounds simple, and I think that you may have found the problem.

Thanks for the feedback.

Harryco.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts