MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guy's, I'm new on this forum, I'm living on the otherside of the North-sea (Netherlands) and looking for some answers. I've got a 2001 MR2 and very little experience with this car's electronics. Now I bought a wrecked 2005 corolla TTE (original) and want to swap the compressor charged engine plus its ecu.
1. Does anyboby has experience with this swap?
2. Does anybody have the wiring sceme's of the TTE, specially the ECU
3. Does anybody has experience how to adapt the and connect the loom, is there a step by step checklist which guides me through?
4. How do I adapt the MR2 so the immobilizer will work properly?
5. what parts do I really need to order from MWR?

Just a few questions to start with, I am still dismanteling the Corolla, and trying to get a picture of all the things I have to do.

regards

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
No one in the states would have any experience with that - none of those are available here. I'd suggest visiting mr2roc.org . There is also a German MR2 forum.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
There is at least one person in the UK that swapped in a TTE Corolla engine... search on mr2roc.com.
But... I think what you're going to have to do is treat it like any other 2ZZ engine swap, and use your 1ZZ engine harness plus some modifications to make it work.

Should be interesting getting the fit right with the firewall, too. But it has been done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Corolla has a 2zz engine, I've contacted the guy's who did the swap, but they used an aftermarket ecu, and don't have any documentation about the swap, which they did back in 2008/9 The firewall has to be massaged as he called it. It's not the "hardware"swap I'm concerned about, but more the electrical differences, and how to overcome them. I know you could buy a kit from TTE, but don't know if this was a compressor or turbo. Perhaps somebody still has the wiring scheme's.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the Corolla ECU have an Immobilizer Feature?.. If no, then all is good, If you do not want one.. if yes.. I'd like to see Pictures.. ( I like Pictures :) )

The Lib Files have the 1ZZ Spyder ECU pinouts..

http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?37945-1-and-2-ZZ-ECU-s-Side-by-Side..-Sorta

Cap
Hello Cap, the 2005 Corolla TTE has a 2zz engine, and lay-out of the ECU connectors is the same as a "normal" 2zz. I've seen pictures of a 2zz ECU pin layout from you on the dutch MR2 forum, (by Sherwin), and it looks the same, but ofcourse there will be more pins connected because of the compressor. I will send some pictures later this week çause I'm not at home at the moment. Secondly the Corolla has an immobilizer, it needs the special (chipped) key to start and there's this little red light when the key is out of the starter keylock (how do you call this ). Is there a way to reprogram the new ECU for using the MR2 keys?

MR2-TTE

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
If you have the Key that was for the Corolla, the World will be a happy place..

Else I can send you a chip that you will have to solder in, that will allow new keys..

The other option would be to send me the ECU, and I could reprogram it for the Keys.. but If I was you I would not let the ECU out of your Sight..

Just to verify, it has no Piggyback?.. it's just an ECU that was programmed by toyota for the Compressor?..

to be able to get the Air Conditioner and the Dash Cluster to work, you will need BOTH ECU's..

Not out of the Question.. Sounds like a fun project.. Hope I can help..

Cap

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello Cap,

Yes the world is a happy place: I have the keys, infact I have the complete Corolla! and be assured: I'm not sending my ECU anywhere! But still don't know how to do let the MR2 keys work with the TTE ECU and still have the immob function.
What"s a piggybag?
I will send some ECU pictures (if I manage to upload) later this week, cause I'm not at home at this moment.
The 2005 Corolla has only 1 ECU.
I am planning to remove the complete AC from the engine and order a new, shorter belt.
What's a Dash Cluster?
Yes I'm very excited about this project, not very concerned about the "hardware" swap, but a bit worried about
1.al the electronics, and if it all works out (heard some rumours about the spyder's instruments will not work with the TTE ECU?) and
2. possible "cooling" problems.

I wanted to send you some pics of the TTE engine BUT: as I'm not a computer wiz, can you tell me how to do this, 'cause if I use the above icon for inserting images it says: plse enter the URL of the image, there it goes wrong, how do I do that?

MR2-TTE

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
What's a Dash Cluster?
1.al the electronics, and if it all works out (heard some rumours about the spyder's instruments will not work with the TTE ECU?) and
2. possible "cooling" problems.
MR2-TTE
Dash Cluster is the Spyders Instruments.. if you keep the Spyders ECU to run the Body and Airconditioning, then use the Corolla ECU to run the Engine it will work..
A 'Piggy' is Piggy Back ECU. They are used to Modify the Engine Signals going to the Engine ECU, to get them to run things the Factory did not put on. Sounds like you have the Real Deal..

To post Pictures, Open an Account in Photobucket, and upload the Pictures there, then link to the URL where your Pictures are for us to view..

http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?23004-How-to-post-a-picture

Fun Project..

Cap

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Wouter, je foto's linken naar de C-schijf van jouw computer. En aangezien we hier niet op jouw harde schijf kunnen, zien we ze niet.

Je moet je foto's uploaden naar een foto-site (ik gebruik meestal www.tinypic.com , maar je kunt ook www.photobucket.com gebruiken). Daar krijg je een link die je hier kunt plakken en voila, je hebt je foto.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
In het rood omcirkeld de code die je naar je post kopieert.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
upload foto's

In het rood omcirkeld de code die je naar je post kopieert.

Hoi GG
Ik dacht het nu goed tedoen, heb foto's ge-upload naar photobucket, en daarna het IMG adres gekopieerd naar het insert Image schermpje hierboven. Maar nu zeg 'ie: dat het bericht eerst na goedkeuring geplaatst wordt... Is dat normaal? of doe ik nogsteeds iets niet goed?
Heeft dat soms te maken met hoelang je lid bent van dit forum?
MR2-TTE

·
Registered
26,913 Posts
You really don't have to use the TTE ECU. You could use an Apexi Power FC or other engine management system instead. Power FC is a standalone and gives you full control over fuel, ignition, VVT, and other things. The TTE supercharger has a clutch so it isn't making boost all the time. The supercharger clutch is engaged (by the TTE ECU) at some fairly low RPM (but above idle). I know there are other criteria besides RPM, but can't remember what. You could contact TTE for further info.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Hoi GG
Ik dacht het nu goed tedoen, heb foto's ge-upload naar photobucket, en daarna het IMG adres gekopieerd naar het insert Image schermpje hierboven. Maar nu zeg 'ie: dat het bericht eerst na goedkeuring geplaatst wordt... Is dat normaal? of doe ik nogsteeds iets niet goed?
Heeft dat soms te maken met hoelang je lid bent van dit forum?
MR2-TTE
Nee, dat is niet helemaal normaal. Heb je een account aan moeten maken voor photobucket ? Misschien dat je dit account eerst moet bevestigen via e-mail ?

Ik gebruik zoals gezegd altijd tinypic, daar heb je geen account nodig.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts