MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any good reads on tuning with e85? I'm having some trouble with throttle response at low rpm's and higher load, like when blipping the throttle for a down-shift, and also, long cranking cold starts. So far is has been a great fuel that is quite forgiving. I still need to dyno tune for max power and torque, but what I have done so far has made a measurable increase in power and torque. Anyone else running E85?

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I missed something...

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry.TomangO posted a reply that spewed his dislike for T bone and had nothing to do with tuning.Now he's gone again.
Seems rather deranged. But anyways, anyone have any experience with E85?

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
2 performance reasons people use E85: Effective octane rating, and lower cylinder temperatures.

Net result on a NA 1ZZ ? Real little (can probably make a few more HP by getting more aggressive with ignition advance). Probably a few more ponies to be found with a high-compression 2ZZ, but not enough to get too excited about.

Now... throw a turbo on there, E85 will let you run more boost than pump gas, and/or more aggressive timing. But unless you can switch fuel/timing maps at the flick of a switch, or can "blend" the tune with a flex-fuel sensor, a tank of regular gas will then grenade your engine. Worth it?

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use it because its high octane, cooler cylinder temps, its oxygenated, I can run more aggressive ignition, burns clean. I just need to work out a few tuning issues.

Not to seem obtuse but can you address why E85 is of interest to you? It is economically unsustainable, has less potential energy than gas, requires tons of government money to make it affordable....

I do not understand the fascination with burning alcohol

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just want to follow up that I solved the hard cold start issues with E85 on my car.
Under cranking (ms)

+80C= 8.50
+50C= 16.0
+30C= 32.0
+10C= 65.0
-10C= 122.0
-30C= 190.0

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.