MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't see this covered when I did a search. If I missed it, feel free to add the normal gratuitous newb abuse.

For those who have turbo'd a 1zz, what oil change frequency are you using? I'm being told every 1500 miles due to heat in the turbo. Seems a bit much to me.

Want to know what folks here are actually seeing on both dino oil and synthetic.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I am actually going to pull the first post turbo sample at 1500 and go from there. The plan is to test every 500 and see what's safe. Shop that helped me with the turbo says every 1500 but that seems like a "revenue management" tool more than a mechanical necessity. We will see. In the meantime, it's good to get a read on how other people are getting by.

·
Registered
8,231 Posts
The turbo heat should not be a concern if you are using a good A3 rated oil and the oil temperature is not super high.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Based on what I've heard, changing your oil as often as every 1,500 will do more hard than good. Or it might be more accurate to say it will do less good than leaving the oil in there for, say, 5-10,000 miles. Now that I've mentioned it, I can't be any more specific without risking misinformation, so, ask Dev. He seems to know his stuff about oil.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agree on the 1500 mile bit. I was quite surprised when he said that. I go 7500 on my turbodiesel truck and could go 15,000 if I wanted to. I heard him say 1500 and didn't know if I should be scared or amused. At 1500, I'd be doing changes once a month.

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
the gentleman that did my turbo and engine build [Master Mechanic of a professional drag racing team] recommended syn oil and a 3,000 mile interval.
i just got an analysis done and everything is within acceptable parameters and the lab suggests to remain on this regimen. this i intend to do.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
3k sounds reasonable.

Wondering if I went to a 6Q capacity pan if one could get another 1k out of a change.

Anyone know if oil life is linear with capacity?

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
This is what I think in regards to oil change intervals with turbo's and it's a big depends.
It depends on how rich you are running and heat is not necessarily an issue as long as you have a mandatory oil cooler with this setup. Running too rich can damage the oils life and that is why you need an oil that has a very high TBN value. The German Castrol is perfect for this application because it can take a beating and absorb the fuel dilution better before the oil goes acidic.

I think it's a good idea to get an oil analysis done at 3k miles and check for fuel dilution in the sample and TBN value to see how much active ingredient is left.

Changing out your oil too soon will negate some of the benefits of the oil and keeping it in too long can do the same so it's best to find a comfortable medium.

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
There is the one rub - no oil cooler yet. We were struggling with where to locate it.
Even without an oil cooler for normal street use it would be hard to damage modern A3 rated oil.
If you are concerned pull a sample out at 3k miles and then you will know for sure.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's definitely street use. Once in a while it will spend a few minutes hugging some curves in a canyon nearby, but that's it. I didn't go nuts - just 5 psi and about 195 hp at the wheels. Just wanted to liven it up - not kill it (or me either, for that matter.)

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
It's definitely street use. Once in a while it will spend a few minutes hugging some curves in a canyon nearby, but that's it. I didn't go nuts - just 5 psi and about 195 hp at the wheels. Just wanted to liven it up - not kill it (or me either, for that matter.)
You should be fine with 5k oil changes. 3K is way too early.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Don't worry too much about the oil change interval just standard 3k should be fine with good oil.

What I would endorse would to check the oil often though. What I do with my car is check oil every fuel stop. Take note if you are consuming more oil then normal and the color and that should guide you more then the "internet".

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
Don't worry too much about the oil change interval just standard 3k should be fine with good oil.

What I would endorse would to check the oil often though. What I do with my car is check oil every fuel stop. Take note if you are consuming more oil then normal and the color and that should guide you more then the "internet".
How does the color of the oil guide you?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm going to test pretty often at first, so I won't bother even looking at it before I send off a sample.

BTW, looks like the shop's recommendation of 1500 might have more to do with a bad experience with one client. Looks more like CYA than technical requirement.

Only one way to know for sure - test it!

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
like tea leaves, a divining rods, and chicken bones oil color is an essential predictor of the future :lol:
:lol: Right up there with the mythology of oil.

There was a guy on here a long time ago that would change his expensive synthetic oil every 500 miles.
Can anyone guess what kind of oil he used.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts