MR2 SpyderChat banner

Turbo 1zz stock fuel system

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Funnyman 
#1 ·
Title says it all. I down want to upgrade ecu fuel pump or injectors. I want a very small turbo and dont mind running the fuel lean. Wondering if an old wrx turbo would be small enough of if there is a better option. Something second hand and cheap is the aim.

#2 ·
Holly shit Batman.. Ill jump in and call you an idiot before Frankster does.. because you are!.. no really.. I'm usually the polite one here, but you just don't get it!..

You can run lean for long.. so don't even bother trying..

Now.. there are ways you can do a low boost turbo, with a rising rate fuel pressure regulator.. or use a Piggyback to help fix things..

PLEASE do some searching on low boost turbo systems .. no really

Cap

Reactions: DaveSchott
#3 ·
The odds that the turbo from a WRX will be a reasonable match to a 1.8 L engine are very small. You need to find out what diameter wheels and trims are a good match before you waste time fabricating a turbo system that either won't perform or will blow up your engine.

Dave

#4 ·
You'd at least have to upgrade injectors to the 2zz injectors which would be a cheap/easy mod. Maybe could get by running 6psi. Your timing would be pretty high(stock) and you'd more than likely be running too lean on the stock ecu. Might have to get even larger injectors to richen it up but you'd have to make sure they match the stock ecu injector latency values and such or it won't run right. Will run pretty bad at idle anyways, ecu may be able to adjust to stoich during cruise, not sure. Give it a try and let us know!

Reactions: Cake
#5 ·
Thanks you guys have actually helped a lot, I did see the 2zz injector mod but i hear a lot of people said it didnt play nice with other mods.

I figured since wrx's are everywhere and they are twin turbo they would be reasonably small and cheap.

I also heard that toyota ecus dont really like adjusting timing or fuel pressure if its as simple as a regulator thats awesome, im pretty new at this but im not a total idiot you dont have to be rude, its all well and good just saying look it up but if its so easy to find then you could link threads.

If you guys have any part suggestions i would appreciate it. Im trying to do this as cheaply ass possible with as much power as i can down low.

#6 ·
You need. Injectors, Fuel pump, ECU, Intercooler and someway to adjust boost as a bare minimum. The wrx run a single turbo and depending on how old are either 2ltr or 2.5ltr. VF23 turbos were used on the sti and were used to upgrade for std wrx they'll work but no idea when boost will come on. You might not see boost until 4 to 6krpm but itll pull hard after that lol.
Try reading up on other builds and look at whats in the mwr kit then read more and then save up and pay someone to do it for you lol.

#7 ·
Yeah thanks ill do more research but a lot of what im seeing are kits. The exchange rate is horrible rn and even if it wasnt id rather fab myself. My dad cannabises and sells salvage cars from auctions so i have decent access to reasonably new working second hand turbos for cheap. Its more finding a car with turbo thats common enough to be crashed that is also small.

The other ones i was thinking about are turbos from the new swifts and the other city hatches.

#8 ·
From your posts I believe you are in way over your head. You will be much better off getting a car with the power you desire built in. You want to run lean, just send me lots of money and I will send you some cheap fire works.

#10 ·
one write up on diy fuel pump for you here.

#11 ·
And a lillte read of another spyders turbo project here.

#14 ·
Within this thread is an ad for Performance Chip Tuning. Since this thread is about gaining performance, can anyone comment on the products of this company? Chips historically don’t get high marks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.