MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be going forward with putting a VW 1.6/1.9 indirect injection turbodiesel engine in my spyder. I will use the stock spyder tranny, because this engine is capable of turning 7000 rpms, yes, a diesel that turns 7000 rpms. I understand that there will be engineering difficulties involved with doing this and I hope to have the project completed before I leave for Afghanistan in Oct. Nov. timeframe. The post is located here:

http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=22148.0

For more info, just post here, I will have pics up soon, work is ongoing. This will be epic, ladies and germs.:cool:
I would love to have your support on this, but I'm sure there will be cries of heresy, the more time you spend downing the idea, the more time I will spend making you look like an idiot.

Thanks,

Nintendo

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Interesting project and I can't say anything bad if you're the guy actually making it happen instead of relying on someone else to do the work for you. I'm kind of scratching my head wondering why though. What goal are you hoping to reach with this engine? Aside from it being diesel I don't see what about it is particularly different to make it worthy of your time and money.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
what kinda power and torque do these babies put out? oh and good luck with it..

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting project and I can't say anything bad if you're the guy actually making it happen instead of relying on someone else to do the work for you. I'm kind of scratching my head wondering why though. What goal are you hoping to reach with this engine? Aside from it being diesel I don't see what about it is particularly different to make it worthy of your time and money.
I know it's 27 pages long but try to read through the whole thing lots of good pictures of the build etc., I am, in fact, doing it myself.^_^

No smog, alternative fuel, and legendary diesel power and torque in a spyder package. The idi engine needs just two wires, a starter wire, and a wire for the glowplugs, that's it. If the world was to end, the cockroaches could drive my car cause the electronics could fry and it would still start and drive LOL:lol:

And the most important reason, someone said that it couldn't be done and that I'm crazy, I'm not crazy, I'm angry, there's a difference.:angry:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what kinda power and torque do these babies put out? oh and good luck with it..

I am projecting about 300hp's and 450 ftlbs @7000 out of an approximately ~1.8l engine with a 17.5/1 static comp ratio with about 30 lbs of boost, I plan to shove 35-40 in but the proof-of-concept has to be done first before I push any limits.^_^

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
wow..take me for a ride lol

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Before you all go nuts, that is all with just a single overhead cam and no electronic engine control, this aint your buddies brand spankin new tdi, this is old skool indirect injection. The intake and exhaust are on the same side of the head as one another, should fit, but in order to make appropriate adjustments to the injection pump I will add a door to the firewall for on-the-fly adjustments.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow..take me for a ride lol
sorry, already promised the first ride to a good friend.

but sure, I can take you for a ride sometime, will be uber loud, is a diesel after all^_^

·
Registered
297 Posts
wow, sounds pretty original, would never even come up with such an idea besides have the guts to try it out, gluck with the project

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
long time no post

Thanks for the encouragement, In case anyone was wondering, I have been working on the engine pretty much non-stop for a while now, and haven't had the time to do anything else.-_-

·
Registered
8,497 Posts
No smog, alternative fuel, and legendary diesel power and torque in a spyder package. The idi engine needs just two wires, a starter wire, and a wire for the glowplugs, that's it. If the world was to end, the cockroaches could drive my car cause the electronics could fry and it would still start and drive LOL:lol:
What do you mean no smog?? A engine has to be the same year or newer as the car to even be considered a legla swap in california. In calfornia this is not a legal swap. How exactly do you plan to pass smog every 2 years with a diesel engine?

·
Registered
128 Posts
300 hp out of a 1.9 tdi?? that is a very interesting goal... I think you need to come to Europe first and talk to some TDI guys here... they will cure you quite quickly...

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What do you mean no smog?? A engine has to be the same year or newer as the car to even be considered a legla swap in california. In calfornia this is not a legal swap. How exactly do you plan to pass smog every 2 years with a diesel engine?
Active duty military can register their vehicles from their home state mine is VA. I can do what ever the hell I please.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
300 hp out of a 1.9 tdi?? that is a very interesting goal... I think you need to come to Europe first and talk to some TDI guys here... they will cure you quite quickly...
If you read through my build page I got some of the same criticism from the guys in europe, I have come a long way. There are a select few guys getting more than that from their engines doing a bit more work than I am. For those farmiliar, I am using the exhaust from he pd series engines rated for 170 hp and the compressor and housing from a gt2259v from mercs and BMW's. The super low "for a diesel" static compression ratio will make for rediculously uncontrollable cold starts, however makes for lots of boost potential. Lastly the last idi engine produced for production vehicles was a 1.9l aaz engine in vw pass cars I am using this cyl. head combined with a 1.6l cy code bottom end. I have in moind a dry sump oil system, mains girdle, and some other unique mods such as ceramic coating the combustion chambers, and if all goes well, I wil have a set of space-age ceramic precombustion chambers:lol:I bet all of that was french to all but a select few here, but I hope this ties up some loose ends for those skeptics from over the pond.

Cheers,

Nintendo

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not a tdi

How many times have I said it now? NOT A FRIGGIN TDI it is not direct injection, it is indirect injection. Get it right or pay the price *quotes camp onowanna*:angry:

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Active duty military can register their vehicles from their home state mine is VA. I can do what ever the hell I please.
Is this something new specifically to CA? For military it's always been that you always have to comply with local and state inspections, pass the tests and get the inspection stickers/papers to prove it in order to get a base sticker, no matter what state your vehicle is registered. I guess if you already have a base sticker and it's not going to expire before you leave, maybe you could sneak around that requirement.

But then if you get pulled over off base, the local law enforcement can to still give you a ticket because you're supposed to have it if you have local residence. You won't have a leg to stand on...again, unless things have recently changed specifically in CA, which I doubt it has.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is this something new specifically to CA? For military it's always been that you always have to comply with local and state inspections, pass the tests and get the inspection stickers/papers to prove it in order to get a base sticker, no matter what state your vehicle is registered. I guess if you already have a base sticker and it's not going to expire before you leave, maybe you could sneak around that requirement.

But then if you get pulled over off base, the local law enforcement can to still give you a ticket because you're supposed to have it if you have local residence. You won't have a leg to stand on...again, unless things have recently changed specifically in CA, which I doubt it has.
All I know, is that I have an alternatively fueled vehicle, which in VA does not have to be smogged, it will have VA plates, and will be mine, I simply refuse to give The state of comm... err California any more of my hard earned dough. Don't get me wrong lots of good things come from taxes, the Military for example, but it is when those siad funds are missapropriated that I feel betrayed, and abuse just like her citizens. CA can suck it, No cali plates=visitor=state of origins regs.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
All I know, is that I have an alternatively fueled vehicle, which in VA does not have to be smogged, it will have VA plates, and will be mine, I simply refuse to give The state of comm... err California any more of my hard earned dough. Don't get me wrong lots of good things come from taxes, the Military for example, but it is when those siad funds are missapropriated that I feel betrayed, and abuse just like her citizens. CA can suck it, No cali plates=visitor=state of origins regs.
I admire your hatred for CA and your bravery, but just realize that your opinion in the matter won't mean anything to the state of CA when they give you that ticket for failure to comply and they do have every legal right to do so the way it's set up. You're not a visitor considering you PCS'ed there and you have a local address; don't confuse your right to keep your old registration and plates or keep your state of residency for the right to ignore local inspection. It's not fair, but that's how it is. That's how it is no matter what state you live in in the military. You could look into it, but getting a straight answer on something like that isn't easy and I also get the feeling that you're ok with chancing the ticket anyway. Trust me on the accuracy of this information, it's one of the main reasons I've decided to never move to CA in the military because I don't want to deal with it.

I think most people just find someone shady to pass them anyway....

·
Registered
1,522 Posts

We got a ticket for tinted windows on our truck so instead of taken the tint off my windows I registered the truck in Texas. I asked a CHP would i get pulled over if I had tinted windows with Texas plates his answer No because we are out of state and consider visitors we fall under our local state laws not theres. I didnt want to give California any more of my money either it would have cost $400+ to get new tags for another year. It was only $110 for all the paper work and $30 a year for new tags in Texas.

Now about the build. This thing is going to happen I've seen the frankenmotor with my own eyes and sat down with Nintendo and discussed the thing back and fourth. Its going to be epic and its going to work it has more than enough room on the engine bay to work its a relatively small engine for the amount of power is going to push out. I got my flame suit ready for when i drive this beast though I am making a special trip from Florida just to drive it since it will be completed while I am out there.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts