MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i want to know if its safe to put a turbo on a stock 2003 mr2 engine? somebody told me i can safely run 6-7psi on a stock motor without a problem. i want to know if its true.

·
Registered
199 Posts
psi is relative, what type of turbo are you looking at?
What type of EMS are you considering? What type of fuel system do you have in mind?
What type of intercooler are you planning on using water to air or air to air?
What type of clutch are you planning on upgrading to?
Do you already have the proper guages to monitor your engine with the turbo?
What type of boost control are you planning on using?
What is your overall budget for this project?
What is your overall goal with the car?

·
Registered
659 Posts
There are turbo-kits to be bought out there to our stock engines . I saw complete kits from $2700 with instructions and everything. Can't find the link. The cheapest one for $2700 was just a madder of putting things in place and the more expensive one included that the engine had to be taken apart for changing things in the motor. 200 hp was the estimate for the cheapest one and way over 300 hp for the more expensive.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
hey guys i want to know if its safe to put a turbo on a stock 2003 mr2 engine? somebody told me i can safely run 6-7psi on a stock motor without a problem. i want to know if its true.
Is it safe? yes.
How much power are you going for? to be safe, don't go to far over 225hp to the wheels. With a good tune you could maybe push towards the 250whp mark.

off of a gt28 6-7 psi with a good tune should yeild between 215-230hp

Intercooler vs. meth injection is a discussion for another day; for best cooling, meth/water injection lowers IAT's the most for us(from the research i've read). an intercooler doesn't get the airflow at the back of the car. a A2W cooler is good but expensive.

·
Registered
659 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNyJGarIJ_c

I like it!

And regarding the lack of an intercooler: with low pressure you really don't need any. Saab low pressure turbo from the early 90's never had any intercooler and neither any APC-system for controlling the pressure. It was only mechanical controlled with the wastegate. 0,3 -0,4 bar was the standard load and I thought that was just enough. Never any turbokick, rather like the engine just was stronger than it really was and the torque came almost from 1 500 rev.

·
Registered
217 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNyJGarIJ_c

I like it!

And regarding the lack of an intercooler: with low pressure you really don't need any. Saab low pressure turbo from the early 90's never had any intercooler and neither any APC-system for controlling the pressure. It was only mechanical controlled with the wastegate. 0,3 -0,4 bar was the standard load and I thought that was just enough. Never any turbokick, rather like the engine just was stronger than it really was and the torque came almost from 1 500 rev.

The Power Enterprise turbo kit for our cars also does not come with an intercooler either and works just fine.

You dont NEED an intercooler on a turbo car, its just that the turbo adds heat to the intake air and if its too hot you will start to have issues. The higher the boost gets, the more of a problem this becomes.

The bonus of not running an intercooler is better throttle response etc. since you dont have the extra piping length and restriction of the cooler as well as less weight but this is where getting a supercharger becomes a better option if all you want is low boost and high response.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hey guys this is the setup previous owner had. im not good with engines and stuff. motor is blown and everything else is good. i got the engine and was thinking about taking out the turbo and leave it stock. but then again im gonna have to buy stock parts. and the mechanic said i can leave everything in it and just change the engine and it wont give me any problems cuz it has a small turbo. so thats y i wanted to know if i leave the turbo and dont push it too hard just drive normal and would it give me problem?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
hey guys this is the setup previous owner had. im not good with engines and stuff. motor is blown and everything else is good. i got the engine and was thinking about taking out the turbo and leave it stock. but then again im gonna have to buy stock parts. and the mechanic said i can leave everything in it and just change the engine and it wont give me any problems cuz it has a small turbo. so thats y i wanted to know if i leave the turbo and dont push it too hard just drive normal and would it give me problem?
leave it in already.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.