MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a bit of input. My Wife thinks the Spyder this less than attractive. While I do have to agree that in stock form they don't catch my eye.

One bit of context, we have a SW20.

For example -

Yet these cars are amazing -

I know they are all lowered, bigger wheels and so on but do you think the Spyder "less attractive" in stock form?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
It is my view that people that are not happy with the looks of a car, such as the Spyder, in stock form and make an attempt to personalize it, by whatever means, are often not happy with their car after spending a lot of money on changing the car. Not only that but when someone attempts to sell the customized car the person often finds that the number of people interested in buying the modified car is very low compared to the number of people that would be interested in buying a car that is in stock condition. I think Toyota did a wonderful job designing the MR2 Spyder exactly the way they designed it.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. I don't think the Mr2 spyder is the prettiest car nor do I think the ugliest by far. My advice...do as you see fit. Personally mine has very few appearance changes and I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
There’s really not that many Spyder’s around. I saw one for the first time a couple years ago and literary thought it was a Porsche. I walked up to car a saw the Toyota emblem and to me it looked sharp. I still think it’s sharp in plain form. Don’t get me wrong I see what some of the folks are doing to their cars and it’s very impressive. I still miss my 07 Z06 ( should have kept it) but I dig the the little car and until I can afford a new or used mid engine vette. I’m thinking that I just need something to work on so I don’t go crazy mowing the grass all the time and the little car fits the bill.

·
Registered
517 Posts
There are few cars that look as good in stock form. Paper is nice. Sometimes the things written on it makes you want to study it, sometimes it makes you want to turn the page.

·
Registered
468 Posts
The good thing about the Spyder is you can turn it into anything you want it to be. No two cars look alike. They are unique in their own way. I have made minor cosmetic changes to mine and I can say that I love it.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
It is hard to see what else you could get if you hang a cockpit on the back end of an inline six.
That could be a Datsun 240z but it is just not a sexy as the early XKE, IMHO. Of course there is also Ferrari and Maserati. Woodies...yes

·
Registered
371 Posts
In comparison to the modified MR-2s in the pictures, the stock 2 doesn't look bad (looks exactly the same as mine back in 2006) Getting a modified MR-2 Spyder to look good is "hit and miss". In my opinion, one body modification that usually only enhances the cars appearance is a hard top.

That said, it's true that anytime you modify a car from stock the resale value drops...I wouldn't want a previously modified project car if I planned on reselling or modding; I'd want a bone stock canvas in which to...mod.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The fact that this needs a thread makes it pretty self explanatory.

One of the few reasons I want keep my aw11 over the zzw30.
It has a pretty soul at the very least and a beautiful platform.

·
Registered
371 Posts
To correct myself: A hard top may be the only body modification that would likely always hold or even raise its resale value, especially if the convertable top is retained.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
About this Discussion
43 Replies
22 Participants
Swingshiftworker
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing