MR2 SpyderChat banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
To correct myself: A hard top may be the only body modification that would likely always hold or even raise its resale value, especially if the convertable top is retained.
I don't consider the hard top as a modification to the spyder, it is a factory accessory. It does change the looks, IMHO in a good way but makes if less versatile as a convertible. Once you are on the road it has to stay on. For me the number one point of the spyder is that it is a convertible, second a mid engine, third barrel of fun at low cost. I actually prefer the looks of the first Miata but it is just a bit to small for me on the inside.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I waited 3 months for Toyota to ship my AW16 Mr2 to South Florida.

The mods were factory- close-ratio, self-oiling 5 speed w cooler, revised spring rates, ceramic coated pistons, intercooler, dual pickup distributor, remote voltage regulator, lightweight engine cover.

And now, 30 years later, does the Corvette finally now follow suit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I love the "Is this stock?" look, followed by "I don't remember stock looking this good". I have had a number of motorcycles over the years and now I have a 2000 MR2 Spyder, my approach to this car has been the same as my motorcycles that are much easier (and cheaper) to modify. I like to change or update parts that someone that is not an expert on the car would never notice or point out. The invisible enhancers, that is what rocks my boat.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I don't consider the hard top as a modification to the spyder, it is a factory accessory. It does change the looks, IMHO in a good way but makes if less versatile as a convertible. Once you are on the road it has to stay on. For me the number one point of the spyder is that it is a convertible, second a mid engine, third barrel of fun at low cost. I actually prefer the looks of the first Miata but it is just a bit to small for me on the inside.
Intetesting... TRD makes factory accessories such as spoilers, short shifters, etc. I think for the most part, I would still consider these 'accessories' = to modifications. Only difference being one is offered by the manufacturer (yet still not offered in such a state new off the lot), while the others are typically offered aftermarket.

However, I can't totally disagree to line of thought that says, since or "if" nothing is removed from the vehicle, aka the rag top, and only the addition of an item i.e., a factory hardtop has occurred, thereby it's merely an "accessory" and not a "mod".... I get it.

Seems like splitting hairs...

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
I need a bit of input. My Wife thinks the Spyder this less than attractive. While I do have to agree that in stock form they don't catch my eye.

One bit of context, we have a SW20.

For example -
View attachment 73543
So, do you own a Spyder also, or just the MKII(a better looking Fiero...and yes, I previously owned a MKII Turbo)?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Personally I am not a fan of body kits on Spyders. It changes the proportions, in a bad way - too tall, and too narrow - like a bathtub in appearance. Even the TRD sideskirts add to this strange look.

The only body piece I ever liked was the TTE front bumper. In fact, I believe the Spyder should have come this way from the factory.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Widebodies and fender flares all day for the 2, and most cars for that matter. And with the widebody is a mandatory hardtop... no hardtop, no widebody.

But you know, to each his own 😁

·
Registered
3 Posts
What body kit is the blue one?

I need a bit of input. My Wife thinks the Spyder this less than attractive. While I do have to agree that in stock form they don't catch my eye.

One bit of context, we have a SW20.

For example -
View attachment 73543

Yet these cars are amazing -

View attachment 73544

View attachment 73545

View attachment 73546

I know they are all lowered, bigger wheels and so on but do you think the Spyder "less attractive" in stock form?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Widebodies and fender flares all day for the 2, and most cars for that matter. And with the widebody is a mandatory hardtop... no hardtop, no widebody.

But you know, to each his own 😁

Correction: (and this is just my opinion) a widebody is ok without a hardtop "if" you have a 'roll bar' as well... One of my future plans.

·
Registered
98 Posts
In the UK we had optional Toyota GB bodykit, front and rear spats and sideskirts which were a tactful and understated kit so stock...ish

IMG_1780.JPG

IMG_1614.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
My 1988 Toyota Mr2 Supercharged (AW16) is rated 6 seconds 0-60 and this Spyder is rated 8 seconds.

Perhaps this Spyder died from the lack of Toyota to offer a a performance model?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
No clue where you read that. Car and Driver tested the AW Supercharged to do 0-60 in 6.5 seconds and the MR2 Spyder to do 0-60 in 7 seconds. The Spyder was officially rated at 6.8 seconds. The Supercharged AW made only 145HP and weighted in at around 2600-2700 lbs depending on source. Of course it had superior torque.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Frankly, no stock MR2 of any iteration is much of a drag racer. If you are worried much about 0-60 times, you bought the wrong car. They were built to go fast in turns.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
No clue where you read that. Car and Driver tested the AW Supercharged to do 0-60 in 6.5 seconds and the MR2 Spyder to do 0-60 in 7 seconds. The Spyder was officially rated at 6.8 seconds. The Supercharged AW made only 145HP and weighted in at around 2600-2700 lbs depending on source. Of course it had superior torque.
I don't see why anyone cares about 0-60 time in the first place. Standing launch is probably the least interesting aspect of sports driving, and the result depends crucially on whether you are shifting once or twice. Furthermore, there is no race that I know of that ends at 60, and if you are entering an expressway, you will be shifting twice anyways in any car of this class.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
About this Discussion
43 Replies
22 Participants
Swingshiftworker
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing