MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I see a lot of people posting about unichip and I looked but they don’t sell anything for 1zz?

where can I buy this and is there a “plug in and go” version?

engine: 1zz
Mods: Custom CAI with custom maf housing raised paired with 2zz injectors
Decat Manifold
200 Cell downpipe
TTE Style exhaust

For £600-£700 i can get a full stand alone ECU and for £120 I can have a DET 3 Piggyback... so I wonder what that unichip would cost me

·
Registered
5,596 Posts
You have already messed with the Basic Engine.. with the 2zz Injectors and the Raised MAF ( I was the one that Published the Info on that ).. so I think a Uni-Chip will not be proper for you..
You need an Aftermarket Tunable ECU.. and then pay to have it tuned..

I'm thinking you should be close to the KW VS Money spent presently.. the next steps will cost a lot and not return much..

Cap

·
Registered
371 Posts
Don’t bother with a unichip. Save your money and get yourself a stand-alone or piggyback then have a tuner tune it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From my understanding Unichip 'is' a piggyback. Its roughly half the price (about $500) of a standalone i.e. Apexi PFC, (about $1000). Technically the Unichip is tunable and can be remapped, however it's less practical and you can do more with a standalone. For a basic IHE setup, it can be beneficial allowing you to make the most of such modifications, and still be CA smog friendly.

Having first hand experience, I would go with the standalone because of the 'full' tuning capability and practicality when it comes to said tuning, i.e. most shops that offer tuning can likely tune a standalone while only a select few would be able to work with a Unichip.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Technically the Unichip is tunable and can be remapped, however it's less practical and you can do more with a standalone. For a basic IHE setup, it can be beneficial allowing you to make the most of such modifications, and still be CA smog friendly.
I admittedly know nothing about the unichip, especially the modern ones. But I also have first hand experience with the Apex-i PFC and it's great. Completely unsmoggable in CA though. If a Unichip is tuneable then that would be a great option for a basic IHE but I always thought they were just a pre-determined Fuel Map that has no adjustability.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Supposedly the Unichip can be tuned and it does have different tunes pre-built for existing modifications.

I have one and it does improve system performance based on my mods.

But, their customer service sucks. I purchased the update cable and requested access to their tune library multiple times and have never been granted access. So, if you plan on changing mods frequently, don't expect any support from them.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I admittedly know nothing about the unichip, especially the modern ones. But I also have first hand experience with the Apex-i PFC and it's great. Completely unsmoggable in CA though. If a Unichip is tuneable then that would be a great option for a basic IHE but I always thought they were just a pre-determined Fuel Map that has no adjustability.
Unichip claims that it (Unichip Q) adjusts air/fuel ratios, and advances timing etc. to optimize the modifications made to your car.

Supposedly, if you added an intake, header and catback exhaust, you'd typically only get about a 5 HP gain over stock without a tune. Unichip claims that with their premapped tune for your specific modifications, it will maximize the potential of those modifications, so as opposed to 5 HP with IHE (no tune), with a Unichip tune they claim about 20 HP over stock.

Would be interesting to see a Unichip premapped tune vs a manual tune with a PFC with the same exact modifications....

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
I got a 19 hp gain using a Zeroexhaust header and Maf mod. Pulls on the dyno where using 4th gear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
carlbecker
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing