MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I just picked up an older version of Unichip version c and have it installed. It is the version that only have one A/B switch (not the current version Q with 2 switch and a LED light). Before I installed the unichip, I have 3/4 tank of gas (89 octane). I don't know which switch 1 or 0 should I use for best match with it.. Also, if I want to flip between A(1) or B(0) maps, do I need to disconnect the battery first ? or just simply shut off the engine and remove the key, make the switch and restart the car ?
If I got map B (0) lower octane, does it means the car go slower ? I find it not as snappier as before I installed the unichip. Switched to map A(1), no improvement. Did I do anything wrong ?

Anyone can share your experience and knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The whole idea is to that you don't have to pay a tuner (I mean a good tuner !) for setup. Finding a good experience tuner may not be as easy.. Many people have good experience with unichip and of course I don't expect it will be like Turbo or SC. But at least it is pre-tuned for mild boost..

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
yeah the problem is that Can tune are not the best... because not every car are not the same even if its same engine and same bolt ons or whatever

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Typically, the Unichip is pre-programmed for a specific intake/header/exhaust set up -- with an "A" map for 87 octane and a "B" map for 91 octane. The newer Unichip version Q can be reflashed over the interwebs (with the included Unichip-to-USB cable) by Unichip; the older Unichip version C is no supported in a similar manner. Do you know if the specific intake/header/exhaust set up is a match for what you've got installed your car?

As for changing the settings.. the instructions indicate that you should turn off the car, flip the A/B switch, and start the car. I imagine it might be better to pull the battery to reset the ECU as well.. but it's not

Aaron, the technical manager at Unichip in Oregon, (email: [email protected]) has been tremendously helpful to me during my installation and tuning even though I bought the set-up used.

Rich

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Q

Thanks rpaltman !
I will give him a try ! There are a lots of people using Unichip when you do a search on the internet.. I am sure why there is a reason for that.. I believe all I need is to get some support from people like yourself and other who want to help other Spyder Enthusiast out there to proper installing it..
Thanks ! :biggthumpup:

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, after I fill up my tank with 91 octane of gas with the switch position set to 1 and drove it for couple days (30 - 40 miles), I notice the engine response is a lot more aggressive.. My TM ss dual exhaust came life ! It is continue improving.. A lot more fun than before and make me like driving and do more aggressive corning. Great upgrade !

Thanks !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.